Chapter 9 - Burnout

As the days turned to weeks and weeks to months, graduation loomed on the horizon. The excitement of upcoming freedom was mixed with a sense of uncertainty about the future. Colet and I spent more time together than ever, trying to savor every moment before everything changed.

One Friday evening, we decided to have a quiet night at Colet's place. It had become our sanctuary, a place where we could talk for hours without interruption. That night, as we sat on her porch swing, the topic inevitably shifted to the future.

"Have you thought about what you want to do after graduation?" Colet asked, her voice soft but curious.

I hesitated, staring at the stars above. "I have, but it's all so overwhelming. There are so many options, and I don't know which one is the right path."

Colet nodded, her hand slipping into mine. "I get it. I feel the same way. But I know whatever you choose, you'll be amazing at it."

I smiled, feeling the warmth of her reassurance. "Thanks, Colet. What about you? Any plans?"

She took a deep breath, her eyes reflecting the moonlight. "I've been accepted into an internship program in New York. It's a fantastic opportunity, but... it's so far away."

My heart skipped a beat at the thought of being apart from her. "New York? Wow, Colet, that's incredible! But... does that mean you'll be moving there?"

She looked at me, her expression a mix of excitement and concern. "It's a possibility. But it's not set in stone yet. I wanted to talk to you about it first."

A silence fell between us, the weight of the conversation pressing down. "I want you to follow your dreams, Colet. If New York is where you need to be, then you should go."

She squeezed my hand, her eyes earnest. "And what about us, Maloi? I don't want to lose what we have."

Tears welled up in my eyes. "Neither do I. We'll figure it out, Colet. We can make it work, no matter the distance."

Over the next few weeks, the reality of our looming separation sank in. We spent every moment we could together, trying to build memories to sustain us during the time apart. Our friends were also making plans, each of us facing our futures with a mix of excitement and trepidation.

One afternoon, as we all gathered under our favorite oak tree, Gwen brought up the topic that had been on everyone's mind. "So, what's everyone doing after graduation?"

Mikha grinned. "I'm heading to Los Angeles to pursue music. It's a big leap, but I'm ready for it."

Aiah looked at Mikha, pride shining in her eyes. "And I'm going with her. I've been accepted into a dance academy there."

Sheena, who had always been the pragmatic one, smiled softly. "I'm staying local for now, taking a job with a tech company here. It's not far, so we can still hang out."

Gwen squeezed Sheena's hand. "Same here. I got a teaching position at a nearby school. It'll be different, but I'm excited."

All eyes turned to Colet and me. Colet spoke first. "I've been accepted into an internship program in New York."

Our friends erupted in congratulations, their support genuine and heartfelt. Then they looked at me expectantly. "And you, Maloi?"

I took a deep breath. "I'm still deciding. I've applied to a few art schools, and I'm waiting to hear back."

A few days later, I received an email that changed everything. I had been accepted into an art school in San Francisco, my top choice. I stared at the screen, my emotions a whirlwind of excitement and fear. I wanted to share the news with Colet immediately, but the thought of the distance between San Francisco and New York made my heart ache.

That evening, I met Colet at our favorite café. We found a quiet corner, and I showed her the acceptance email. "I got into the art school in San Francisco."

Her face lit up with joy. "Maloi, that's amazing! I'm so proud of you."

I smiled, but it didn't reach my eyes. "But it's so far from New York, Colet."

She took my hand, her grip firm. "We'll make it work. We've come this far, and I know we can handle the distance. Besides, it's just for a few years. We'll visit each other as often as we can."

Tears welled up in my eyes again, but this time they were tears of hope. "You're right. We can do this."

Graduation day arrived, and with it came a flood of emotions. As we tossed our caps into the air, the reality of our imminent separation hit hard. We celebrated with our friends, laughing and crying together as we reminisced about the years we had shared.

Later that evening, Colet and I found ourselves back at her place, sitting on the porch swing. "We did it," I said, leaning against her.

She wrapped her arm around me, pulling me close. "We sure did. And now, it's time for our next adventure."

I looked up at her, my heart swelling with love and determination. "Together, no matter what."

The next few weeks were a blur of packing and farewells. Our friends threw a goodbye party, and we promised to stay in touch and support each other no matter where life took us. Colet and I had one last date before our respective departures, a beautiful day filled with laughter, love, and a few tears.

On the day Colet left for New York, I went to the airport with her. We hugged tightly, neither of us wanting to let go. "I'll miss you every day," she whispered.

"Me too," I replied, my voice choked with emotion. "But we'll make this work, Colet. I know we will."

She kissed me softly, her eyes shining with tears. "I love you, Maloi."

"I love you too, Colet."

As I watched her walk away, I felt a mix of sadness and hope. We were starting new chapters in our lives, but our bond was strong enough to withstand any distance. I knew that whatever the future held, we would face it together, our love growing stronger with each passing day.