Chapter 15 - The Night is Still Young

It had been five long months since the accident. Five months of hoping, praying, and never giving up on Maloi. Colet had been a constant presence at the hospital, despite the cold reception from Maloi's parents who blamed her for the accident. But Colet didn't care about their blame. All she wanted was for Maloi to be safe and sound.

Their friends—Jhoanna, Gwen, Mikha, Sheena, Stacey, and Aiah—had been equally supportive, visiting regularly and bringing some sense of normalcy to the sterile hospital environment. It was on one of these routine visits that everything changed.

Colet was in the hospital lobby, talking with Jhoanna, Gwen, and Mikha. They were trying to lift each other's spirits, sharing stories and laughing at old jokes. Suddenly, Colet's phone rang. She glanced at the screen and froze. The caller ID showed Maloi's name.

"Maloi?" she whispered, her voice catching in her throat.

Without a second thought, she ran towards the elevator, her phone still ringing in her hand. The elevator seemed to be taking forever, so Colet, not wanting to waste any more time, turned and sprinted for the stairs instead.

Her heart pounded in her chest as she raced up the stairs, taking them two at a time. By the time she reached Maloi's floor, she was out of breath, but she didn't stop. She pushed through the door and ran down the hallway, bursting into Maloi's room.

There, sitting up in bed with her phone to her ear, was Maloi. Her eyes met Colet's, and she smiled.

"Colet," Maloi said, her voice soft but clear.

Colet dropped her phone and rushed to Maloi, wrapping her arms around her in a tight hug. Tears streamed down her face as she held on to her best friend. "Loi, oh my God, you're awake. I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too," Maloi replied, her voice muffled against Colet's shoulder.

Their friends, hearing the commotion, quickly followed. They entered the room to see Colet and Maloi still embracing. Gwen and Mikha gasped, their eyes filling with tears. Jhoanna couldn't stop smiling.

"Maloi!" they all exclaimed, rushing to the bed. "We missed you so much!"

Maloi looked at them, her eyes shining with emotion. "I missed you guys too. Thank you for being here."

As everyone took turns hugging Maloi, the room filled with a warm, comforting energy. Despite the months of pain and uncertainty, this moment made it all worth it.

Later, as the excitement settled, Colet found herself alone with Maloi. They sat on the bed, holding hands.

"Your parents still blame me for what happened," Colet confessed, looking down. "But I don't care. I just wanted you to be okay."

Maloi squeezed her hand. "I know, Colet. I know you were there for me. I'm sorry you had to go through that."

"It's not your fault," Colet said firmly. "I'm just glad you're awake."

Maloi nodded, her eyes filled with gratitude. "Salamat, Colet. I wouldn't have made it without you."

In the weeks that followed, Maloi's recovery was steady. Physical therapy sessions helped her regain strength, and her friends' visits lifted her spirits. Colet never missed a session, always there to support and encourage her.

One day, as they sat together after a particularly tough therapy session, Maloi turned to Colet. "You know, I've been thinking a lot. Life is short, and I don't want to waste any more time. I want to be with you, Colet. If you're still willing to have me."

Colet's heart skipped a beat. "Of course, Loi. I've always wanted to be with you."

The day Maloi was finally discharged from the hospital was filled with mixed emotions. Her parents were there, still somewhat distant towards Colet, but they were happy to have their daughter back.

As they all gathered in Maloi's room, packing up her things, Colet took a deep breath and approached Maloi's parents. "Mr. and Mrs. Ricalde, I just want to say, I understand why you blame me for what happened. But I promise you, I love Maloi and I will always take care of her."

Maloi's mother looked at Colet, her expression softening. "Thank you, Colet. We can see how much you care for her. Just promise us you'll both be careful."

To celebrate Maloi's return home, their friends organized a small gathering at Colet's condo. It was a cozy, intimate affair, filled with laughter, music, and good food.

As they sat around, reminiscing and catching up, Colet couldn't help but feel a sense of gratitude. Despite everything that had happened, they were all together again.

At one point, Aiah raised her glass. "To Maloi, for her strength and courage. And to Colet, for never giving up on her. Cheers!"

"Cheers!" everyone echoed, clinking their glasses.

Later that night, after everyone had left, Colet and Maloi found themselves alone on the balcony, looking out at the city lights.

"Thank you for everything, Colet," Maloi said softly, leaning her head on Colet's shoulder. "I don't know what I would have done without you."

Colet wrapped her arm around Maloi. "I love you, Maloi. And I'll always be here for you, no matter what."

Maloi smiled, feeling a warmth spread through her heart. "I love you too, Colet."

As they stood there, wrapped in each other's arms, they knew that whatever challenges lay ahead, they would face them together. Their love had been tested, but it had emerged stronger than ever.

And so, with the promise of a new beginning, they embraced the future, hand in hand, ready to take on the world together.