Chapter 14

The closer they came to the fire realm, the more destroyed everything was. While the plague realm had a green mist surrounding everything, the fire realm burnt everything to the ground. They past a village that was still burning, but they didn't check for any survivors. The only sound coming from the village was it burning to the ground, but there were no cries for help. They were already too late. 

Kaelan's heart ached knowing that the whole village was wiped out because of this disaster. So many people had lost their lives, but he had to keep walking. He sent out a silent prayer for the people who perished.

He felt a strong hand grip his shoulder. He glanced up at Thaddeus, who kept his eyes on Kaelan and not the village. He said, "There was nothing that you could do."

The cleric knew that he was right. As the fire spread, it would continue to burn and destroy everything around it. The only thing that he could do now was keep pushing forward. Like all other realms, he needed to close it to prevent casualties. They had already been successful with one realm, and they would be with this one as well. With his head held high, Kaelan pushed forward with Thaddeus trailing behind him.

The heat was becoming rather intense as the men got closer to the realm. Thinking about burning up reminded him of what he went through only yesterday. If the poison were able to make him feel like he would burn to death, then the fire realm would be no joke. It was getting harder for him to breathe as they approached.

There were a few small fire demons that they were quick to handle, but Kaelan did feel as though he would struggle if they fought for too long. The heat made him feel exhausted already, and the layers of clothing didn't help. Thaddeus seemed to be struggling with the heat as well as the warrior removed his coat.

"Shit, this heat is too much. Is this how you felt with the poison inside of you?" Thaddeus wiped the sweat from his brow, then shot Kaelan a smirk. The warrior knew there was more to the poison than just the burning sensation, but he would do anything to tease Kaelan.

This made the cleric roll his eyes. "I'm not answering that question. Let's just get in and get out. And as my warrior make sure that you protect me from any horny demons."

Or more like demons that would make him feel that way, but he didn't want to mention that. The thought of needing Thaddeus' help like that again embarrassed him, but he wasn't opposed to the idea. If anything, the thought made him blush. After experiencing sex for the first time last night, Kaelan doubted that he would stop Thaddeus if he tried to initiate it again. He knew that he should to protect both of their hearts.

Thaddeus chuckled. "Easier said than done. After all, that would mean that I would have to protect you from myself."

"Are you calling yourself a horny demon?" Kaelan couldn't suppress his smile. He knew that Thaddeus could be a bit of a pervert, but he didn't think he was that bad.

The warrior glanced at Kaelan, a smirk finding its way onto his face. "Perhaps. Keep your mind innocent, Kaelan. Though we spent a night together, I don't think you're prepared for half of the things that I've thought about you."

Saying that only made Kaelan more curious. He wasn't as innocent as Thaddeus believed, but the cleric did try to be on his best behavior. Growing up, he had to be. Azai made sure that Kaelan only focused on his studies and while he knew many people, his mentor wouldn't allow him to be romantic with anyone. If Kaelan ever showed any interest in a boy, then Azai would seclude him from that person. He was only allowed to grow close to Thomas since Thomas was supposed to be his warrior. That didn't stop Azai from drilling it in his head that he shouldn't get close to anyone because he was destined to die in the end.