Chapter 20

The men were on high alert as they followed the demon to the dining hall. Kaelan didn't let go of Thaddeus' hand. He was worried that if he did, then they would be separated. Eirwen said that she only wanted to talk, but Kaelan didn't trust her. She was a demon who could easily attempt to trick them. She could be plotting their demise right now as they walked through the hallway.

Kaelan glanced back a few times to make sure the high demon was still following behind. She was and when she noticed Kaelan looking at her, Eirwen waved and gave him a bright smile. For a demon, she seemed to be rather bubbly. He couldn't sense any malice radiating off her. If anything, she seemed genuinely happy to have Kaelan as a guest.

However, despite her bright demeanor, Kaelan thought about the town they had left behind. People were suffering because of the storm from this demonic realm. Many lost their lives from this perpetual winter. He couldn't forgive or side with a demon who was making people suffer. There was a small chance that Eirwen didn't realize what her realm was doing to the humans on the other side. After all, her demons didn't attack them or any humans, but Kaelan still had his doubts. There wasn't a good bone in a demon's body.

The dining hall was already brightly lit with food set on the table. It was quite a feast to behold, with many foods that Kaelan had never seen before. At the sight of food, his stomach growled. He couldn't remember the last time they had stopped to eat a proper meal. Thaddeus didn't seem to get hungry, but that could have been because of his demonic powers. There were a lot of things that didn't seem to affect the warrior.

Eirwen wasted no time taking her place at the head of the table. When she saw the men reluctant to join her, she gestured to the seats at the table. "Please, I promise that the food isn't poisoned. You're our guests, so make yourselves at home. Even if you refuse to eat, at least sit down so that we can talk. There's a lot that I'd like to discuss with you."

Kaelan looked at Thaddeus for guidance. They didn't have any weapons, but the demons within the room didn't seem to either. Besides Eirwen and Atticus, there were two other demon servants in the room with them. Eirwen was the only demon in this realm who had dark hair, while her servants had either white or light blue hair. She stood out among her flock, but that was the be expected from a high demon. A high demon could be spotted from a mile away while surrounded by their underlings.

When Thaddeus eventually sighed and took a spot at the table, Kaelan reluctantly joined him. He sat beside the warrior, where he felt safest. He refused to leave his side in fear that this was still a trick, and they would be torn away from each other. Wherever Thaddeus went, Kaelan would follow.

Upon sitting down, exhaustion overtook Kaelan. He was tired of traveling for days and closing portals. It wasn't as though he could take a break either. He had to continue traveling and closing the realms if he wanted to save humanity, no matter how tiring this endeavor was.

Eirwen noticed Kaelan's expression. She gave him a small smile, and said, "Rooms will be prepared for the two of you to rest in after dinner. I suggest getting a full night's sleep before embarking on your journey again. Especially you, Chosen One."

"My name's Kaelan, and I have no intention of resting while in a demon's realm. I won't let my guard down." He didn't plan to stay long anyway. He would listen to what Eirwen had to say, get his weapons back, and then destroy her relic to close this realm for good. Regardless of what the demon had to say, it wouldn't change the outcome. Kaelan's mind was already made up.

She let out a small sigh. "I don't blame you. We're supposed to be enemies after all, but you should be careful with the rate you're going. I can see what is happening to you in your eyes. While each realm you close is making you more powerful, it is corrupting you as well. You see, these artifacts that you're destroying, they are made up of darkness. That darkness is entering your body and corrupting your soul. I'm sure you're aware of what will happen to you at the end of your quest."