Chapter 18

As they neared the next town, the temperature dropped significantly. This town was usually known for being cold as it neared the northern territories, but this was unnaturally cold for this time of year. Kaelan was dressed in new green and white robes, as well as Thaddeus' coat, but it still wasn't enough to combat the cold. When Thaddeus noticed Kaelan shivering, he put an arm around him and pulled him close. Kaelan accepted the heat radiating from the warrior, even though it barely made him feel better. 

The town could be seen in the distance. It was snowing lightly, and further away he could see the portal to the demon realm. The portal was still far off, but it was the source of this cold weather. As they got closer to it, the cold would only become worse. There was a chance they could walk into a blizzard as well. Once reaching the town, they would need to buy clothes suited for this weather. Perhaps they could pick up a couple of cold-resistant potions as well.

There were barely any people walking down the snow-covered streets of the town when they entered. Anyone that they saw was quick to find shelter in one of the shops or their home. When the wind picked up, Kaelan tightly grabbed onto Thaddeus' arm and looked away. The cold wind was biting away at his skin. It felt like little icicles piercing him as the snow hit his face.

Thaddeus led Kaelan through the streets and to the nearest tavern that he could find. He pushed the doors open, quickly shut them, and then brought Kaelan over to the hearth where a fire burned. Others were surrounding the fire as well as they tried to get warm. They made room for the warrior and cleric when they recognized who they were. People may not know their faces, but anyone could recognize when the cleric arrived. Even normal people could sense the power that radiated off him. With demonic realms activated, it was only a matter of time before the cleric came to close it.

"Stay here and try to warm up. I'm going to fetch some supplies for our journey," Thaddeus said. He was about to leave Kaelan behind, but the cleric quickly grabbed onto his hand.

"Wait, don't leave me. I should come with you. It's not fair for you to venture back out there while I stay here for warmth." They were a team, and Kaelan would feel bad if Thaddeus went back outside on his own. He trusted the warrior to get everything that they needed, but he still didn't want him to do the work by himself.

But Thaddeus shook his head. "I'll be fine. Besides, the cold doesn't affect me like it does you. This weather is demonic, which I have a resistance to. It's safer for you to stay here while I get the supplies."

Kaelan wanted to argue with him, but he knew Thaddeus had a point. It made the cleric feel useless. Ever since this journey began, he had been relying on Thaddeus. The warrior already did so much to help Kaelan; from helping him while he was poisoned, to rescuing him from Xaphan. Thaddeus was the only one who was useful by being willing to brave the winter storm to get them supplies. Kaelan couldn't deny his assistance.

"Just hurry back . . ." Kaelan wasn't happy with this situation. Once again, he hated how weak he felt. A little bit of cold shouldn't stop him, but he didn't want to argue with Thaddeus.

He was surprised when Thaddeus leaned down and kissed him on the cheek. Kaelan blushed, embarrassed to be kissed in front of these people. They would get the wrong impression by believing that the cleric was in a relationship with his warrior when that wasn't true. They weren't a couple. Kaelan wasn't sure what they were if he was being honest with himself. For now, they were just two people using each other. At least, Kaelan knew that he was using Thaddeus for multiple purposes.

When Thaddeus left, Kaelan let out a sigh. He was disappointed in himself, but he didn't want to mope in front of the townsfolk. They were all looking at him, eager to speak with him but not knowing what to say. It was clear by their faces that they wanted to know if he would save their town. Kaelan would try his best, but he doubted he could do it without Thaddeus' help. He needed the warrior by his side so far. He didn't think he could do this on his own for a long time, if ever. He probably would need Thaddeus until the end. He couldn't be the strong cleric everyone believed him to be.