Chapter 25

[xxx]

As expected, it wasn't easy for the men to traverse the forest. The vines leading to their destination were thick and blocked their path. Kaelan could have used his magic to get rid of the blockade, but Thaddeus advised against it. They didn't need Kaelan to become weak before they reached the earth realm. If Kaelan used too much of his power, then it would be a problem when they finally faced the high demon. A detour would have to work for now.

Not only were the vines blocking their way, but roots from the trees seemed to come to life as well. This was Kaelan's first time in the forest, but it didn't take a genius to figure out that this wasn't natural. The forest was magical, but he never heard stories about the trees trying to stop travelers from passing. Merodach was the ruler of this forest. This must have been one of the ways he prevented travelers from reaching his kingdom.

One of the roots tripped Atticus. The demon let out a yelp, but before he hit the ground, Thaddeus grabbed onto him and steadied him on his feet. Atticus glared at Thaddeus, then tore his arm out of the other man's grasp.

"I was only trying to help. I could have let you fall," Thaddeus scoffed. Maybe he should have. The demon couldn't appreciate a little bit of help. If this were how Atticus acted when Thaddeus was trying to lend a hand, then he wouldn't help ever again.

"I don't need your help. I would prefer if you didn't touch me with your filthy hands." Atticus held his head high and then marched away from the men.

Kaelan let out a sigh. "Can't you two at least pretend to get along for my sake? I'm the one stuck traveling with you two, and it would be nice to have a peaceful journey."

Not even a day had passed and already Kaelan was tired of dealing with the warrior and demon. Something had to give. He didn't think he could continue this journey like this. There had to be something Kaelan could do to make them get along, even if they pretended. He wouldn't force them to be friends, but they should have some consideration for him. He had to listen to them, after all.

"Babe, I'm trying, but he's insufferable." Thaddeus held his hand out to the cleric to help him over one of the roots.

Kaelan took his hand and accepted his help, blushing at the affectionate name Thaddeus called him. "Then just ignore him. Atticus will come around on his own time."

At least, Kaelan was hopeful that the demon would be a little friendlier with time. He understood Atticus didn't want to venture with them in the first place. If it weren't for Eirwen's request, then Atticus would have continued to stay by her side. He was an old demon who was mostly by his master's side for most of his life. Kaelan could sense the strong bond between the two. Their relationship seemed to be more than master and servant. They seemed to genuinely care about one another.

They kept walking, following behind the demon. The more Atticus walked through the forest, the more annoyed he became. The demon didn't know how to traverse this type of demonic entity. His frustration was clear on his face as he tripped over roots and vines blocked his way.

Thaddeus couldn't help himself from making a snide remark, "You're a demon, so shouldn't you know how to deal with your kind?"

Atticus shot him a glare. "I'm an ice demon, not an earth demon. Our kind doesn't exactly work together. Just so you know, not all demon types get along. I do have an advantage against earth elements, but I'm trying to reserve my powers for later."

It would have been helpful for Atticus to do something about this now, but Thaddeus chose to hold his tongue. He only stayed quiet for Kaelan's sake. When he glanced at the cleric, Kaelan was silently telling him to be quiet. Thaddeus would obey if that meant keeping Kaelan in his good graces. He tightened his grip on Kaelan's hand and watched as the demon struggled with the vines.