Chapter 21

[xxx]

Atticus led them through the halls, which somehow seemed more peaceful and lively compared to when they first arrived. More demons were roaming around than before, and they didn't stay hidden from the cleric and warrior. They still seemed cautious, though. The demons kept an eye on them as they followed Atticus down the halls and up a few flights of stairs. The castle was a maze. It was a good thing Eirwen was so inviting, otherwise, it would have taken them forever to traverse the castle. 

Kaelan still didn't fully trust Eirwen. During the remainder of dinner, the demon queen made small talk with them. Unlike Xaphan, she didn't bring up the past. The only thing she wanted was to end this cycle for good. She didn't see the need to bring up something that once was. When she talked to Kaelan, though, he could tell she cared about him. It made him feel odd knowing these demons knew him, but he had no memory of them. Regardless, Kaelan wasn't the same as his predecessors. He didn't want to think about it, because believing what they said meant that he was fated to suffer each time. He wasn't meant to have a happy ending.

Eventually, Atticus came to a stop in front of a door with a bell hanging right outside. He looked at Kaelan and gestured to the door. "This shall be your room for the night. If you need anything, ring the bell and one of the servants will attend to you." He then turned his attention to Thaddeus. "Your room will be farther down the hall. Follow me and I'll take you there. I will also gather the item that you require."

However, Thaddeus seemed to have other plans. "Actually, I'll share the room with Kaelan. There's no need to waste two rooms on us."

Atticus couldn't help glaring at the warrior, but he didn't argue with him. With a sigh, he said, "Very well. Then I shall be right back with what you've asked for."

The demon didn't wait around for either of them to thank him as he left. Kaelan glanced up at Thaddeus, a slight blush heating his face. He didn't mind having Thaddeus share a room with him, but it was a little embarrassing. After everything they've been through and done together, it almost felt as though they were a couple. Sharing a room for tonight shouldn't be a big deal. They've shared the same bed on multiple occasions already.

Thaddeus was the first to enter the room. The room was large and accommodating for a guest bedroom. The walls and furniture were mostly blue, white, and gold. It was the perfect theme for the ice realm. Upon seeing the bed, Kaelan felt tired once more. The bed was large enough for at least three people, and it looked comfortable with all the blankets and pillows. He couldn't wait to snuggle up next to Thaddeus on it. He looked forward to falling asleep in his arms, even though he knew he shouldn't become this attached. It was too late now for them to go back to simply being warrior and cleric. Kaelan couldn't deny that he felt something for Thaddeus. It wasn't love, but he did like him. It was hard not to like him after Thaddeus opened a whole new world for him.

The warrior sat down on the edge of the bed, and the cleric joined him. Kaelan placed his head against Thaddeus' shoulder, taking in his warmth. The castle was much warmer than outside, but there was still a chill in the air. That was to be expected from the ice realm. At least they gave a warmer welcome than the fire demons in their realm.

After enjoying the silence between them for a moment, Kaelan finally braved to ask the question that had been on his mind. "Um . . . so what do you need the rope for?"

Thaddeus was quick to answer, "I was going to use it to tie you up and then fuck you."

"You're a pervert." Kaelan rolled his eyes, but hearing those words did arouse him at the same time.

"After hanging out with me, you've become quite lewd as well. Whatever happened to the innocent man I started this journey with?" He chuckled, then planted a soft kiss on Kaelan's head.