10| Prayers

Vineet's POV

I am late. I was so sure that she would taunt me for coming late but she was acting very weird. She was lost in her thoughts and was smiling for no reason? Her face changed to stone expression real quick though. I don't know what goes on in that pea-sized head of hers but I bet it's always something weird.

Right now, we are in the car going to the native village of Kavya. It is a small village with not so developed infrastructure. This has become a common plot for criminals. Trapping girls from small towns and villages and luring them and then trafficking them to different countries where their illegal works sail.

Kavya was also trapped by these people but thankfully, she managed to escape them and reached a police station, who handed her to Mr. Madhav. Mr. Madhav then filed the suit and hired his best criminal lawyer, Aanya Verma. Aanya is known for not losing a single case that she has handled.

From our childhood, she has been a keen observant. She always caught whenever I lied about anything to her. Though she is still the dumbest, but the spirit to keep investigating until she finds the truth is the most appreciable skill of hers.

"I talked to Ahana. She told that Kavya didn't say anything about her parents. She only remembers her village and nothing more. Poor kid is so traumatized." Aanya spoke softly. By her tone, I can easily say something is going on in her pea-sized brain. "Alright! We'll go talk to villagers and gather any relevant information." I told her.

Again. The silence fell upon us. I remember the good old times. When Aanya would never shut up. She just needed a topic and she could talk about it for hours. That's her love language. Speaking too much. But right now, everything's changed. She has become the quietest version of herself.

I am the reason for the change. I should've understood her situation. I should've considered her feelings. But I was too selfish. I got blinded by those sweet words spoken into my ears that I thought how Aanya would've felt. I vaguely remember that night. I was drunk and can only recall that night in bits. To be honest, I need to investigate about that night too.

Soon enough, we reached Kiwara. It is a small village in Dehradun with beautiful temples. "Take the car to nearest temple." Aanya spoke in a monotone and again went quiet. This behavior of hers is undoubtedly irritating but seems like I can't do anything about it. The last time when I witnessed this odd behavior of Aanya was when we were in a relationship. She was jealous that time. I certainly don't the reason this time.

We reached the temple and Aanya got out as soon as the car stopped. My eyes moving along with her as she went to a small shop to buy the puja essentials. She then looked around a bit and upon finding me she signaled me to come with her, by tilting her face.

This habit of hers was one of my favorite habits. She would do this whenever she saw me in crowd. I love the way she used to scrunch her face when she couldn't find me. I smiled a bit in memory. I will definitely win her back. But before that I need to investigate about that night. I need to know who set this all up.

We went inside the temple and did our worshipping. Aanya joined her hands and closed her eyes, praying to God. She looked so serene. She is, was and will always be the prettiest soul I've ever laid my eyes on. I was busy admiring her when my eyes fell towards the ground where an insect was near her leg. I was trying to shoo it with my leg. I was so invested in shooing the insect that I didn't notice I disturbed her praying.

She looked at me judgingly as to what the hell am I doing in a temple without praying. I just gave her an awkward smile. She shook her head and continued with her prayer. I just looked front finally closing my eyes and praying.

I wish Aanya and I go back to being the lovers we were. I wish to have enough strength and courage to make her believe in my love and make her mine again.

I opened my eyes and turned towards Aanya wasn't there beside me. I looked here and there and she was exiting the temple. Can't this girl wait for a moment?

From the temple we went to Kavya's house. Police department helped us in searching her house. We reached there but the house was locked. "Let's go talk in the neighborhood." Aanya suggested and went. I was about to follow her but then saw that there was an open window. I peeped in and the condition of the house was worst. Almost as if someone forcefully broke everything.

"Aanya!" I called her out. "It's Ms. Verma for you." She said without turning. "You idiot! It's not time for honorifics. Shut up and come here. The house is in its worst condition." I said to her while trying to find any way to open the door. "Ouh!" She said and came towards me. I was looking for anything near the window to open the door and get in while was just standing beside me.

"Don't you think the weather is quite good?" I asked her. "Yes it is. But we've not come here to enjoy the weather." She said. Wow look at this Akalmand Insaan. "So you know that we are not here to enjoy the weather." She shrugged her shoulders. "Then why the fuck are you standing huh? Help me you idiot!" I said to her.

"Okay! I'm helping. Can't you be a bit polite to me?" She said before going towards the other side and grabbing a rock. "I don't know to be polite to penguins." I said teasing her out of habit. "Hey! How many times do I need to tell you not to call by that name?!" She shouted from there. I couldn't contain my laughter.

"Shut up you pig faced creature." She said coming towards me with a huge rock. "Are you going to throw it on me just because I called you penguin?" I asked with wide eyes. "I wish I could but right now, opening this damn door is my priority." She said and I left a breath of relief.

Bharosa nhi hai is aurat ka. Sach me fek degi mujhpe ye patthar.

She hit the lock with the stone 3-4 times and the lock broke. No. She's not that strong, the lock was quiet old. We opened the door and went inside. The house was small. Enough for 4 people. It had 1 room, a kitchen and a hall. Everything was broken. Every chair, table, bed, everything was broken. Aanya and I looked through the things.

"Vin- Mr. Singhal!" She called. "Just call me Vineet. And yes?" I said going to where she was. "These are Kavya's photographs. All crushed." She said handing me 3 photographs. "Alright. I'll look through here. You go in the neighborhood and see if you can get any clue as to what happened here." I said and bent down. "I don't need your orders." She said before going out.

What do I do with this attitude of hers? Nvm that's my girl.

Hey all!!

Please vote for the chapter and comment down your views. Also, I'll post next chapter only when this chapter gets 15+ votes and atleast 5 comments. I need some encouragement ya'll. Please engage on chapters for regular parts.

Yours Nyraa.