12.

"How did your compatibility test go with the Kaiju no. 4 suit?" You stared at Hoshina, he was busy looking through the report about Kaiju no. 8. While you were flipping through the files regarding Kaiju no. 7's powers and techniques, as well as how his teleportation would work when he suddenly brought the topic up. "I didn't agree with it." He tore his gaze off his laptop and he was now looking at you.

"What do you mean?" You picked the folder up and show him a picture of Kaiju no. 7, it was taken during your fight with it. "I'll be wearing the combat suit that is made of no. 7." He could see the way you smile as you said those, your eyes were beaming with excitement.

Hoshina remembered the fight that happened with you and no. 7. That night, he was amazed by your overwhelming skills and how easily you had taken down the Kaiju. There were few injuries you received from it but nonetheless, you still defeated it.

He also remembered feeling his heart hammering against his chest with no particular reason.

"I already got the approval of it. I'll be going to the Ariake Maritime Base next week for the test and also for.. experiments." You whispered the last word, not wanting him to hear it but basing on the way his eyes opened, he heard it. He leaned on his desk, propping his elbow on the table and leaning on his palm.

"What do you mean?"

You stayed quiet for a moment, thinking of your words carefully and he waited patiently for your reply. It would be hard to use its technique with the combat suit alone, with the same experiment and procedures that was used on the captain of the First Division Unit, you'll undergo it so you can use the power of Kaiju no. 7.

"They'll be putting Kaiju no. 7's retinas in my eyes. Or probably have its other eyes to be inputted and replaced one of my eyes." Hoshina listened attentively, nodding his head as he let you speak. "I wouldn't be able to use Kaiju no. 7 properly without its eyes. The scientists found out that it was able to teleport and form portals because of its eyes."

Hoshina leaned back, rubbing his chin thoughtfully. "You realize what this means, right? This isn't just about enhancing your combat abilities. It's about integrating a part of a Kaiju into your very being. It's risky and unprecedented." He paused, searching your face. "But if anyone can handle it, it's you. Just promise me you'll be careful. We can't afford to lose you." His lips twitch up, smiling as he stared at you.

I can't afford to lose you.

You stared at him for a moment, thinking about his words. He is right about it being risky, and it would probably take a few weeks to heal, and you would be having a hard time to actually master the technique. Or probably, you wouldn't be able to fully used it at all.

"I'm well aware of the risk, but they already had done it with Narumi and it was successful." Biting the inside pf your cheeks as you leaned in on his desk. "I just knew it would be worth the risk, Hoshina." You just smiled at him and he gave you a nod, understanding your reason for it.

"Alrighty, let's discuss about no. 9 and no. 8."

"Nah, I'll sleep."

"H-hey!"

. . .

You were awoken from your nap with Hoshina nudging you, fluttering your eyes open as your vision was quite blurry. Looking up at him, he was putting on his combat suit, talking to Okonogi and the other operation team staffs when you felt the building shake.

Hoshina turned to you with a serious look. "The base is under attack," he said urgently. His words snapped you fully awake. With a rush of adrenaline, you stand up, tapping your earpiece to connect with Okonogi, preparing to face the imminent danger and protect the base from whatever threat was outside.