Unlikely Allies

Alexa was shocked by the Professor's action, which built tension. She quickly dismissed herself, leaving the two at the parking lot.

The university had enough street lights for safety and security, but the lights are uncomforting for Alexa. She had never wanted to walk with Ammielle, she'd never walk with a stranger but her anxiety was another story. If only Cody was kind enough to keep the ghosts story all to himself, it will be better for Alexa.

"I wonder what happened between Miss Louvre and her," she asked, having left them due to the tense atmosphere.

Frustration was visible as she tried to call her driver, but emotions do no good. The university is a few hectares with 32 four-story buildings, catering to 15 departments including a middle school. There was a mini-bus service from point A to point B, but it operated only during peak hours, with exceptions at night if few people were around.

"Prioritizing my project is crucial, but dragging out meetings late into the night isn't my style. Jago always interjects with nonsense, unnecessarily prolonging them," Alexa thought to herself.

As she hastened her pace, Alexa became aware of a car tailing her since the third street lamp from the parking lot. The area is dim giving a tense yet horror atmosphere.

She soon identified Ammielle behind the wheel, yet the driver made no attempt to stop.

Approaching Ammielle's car, Alexa tentatively knocked on the window, hoping for a response. Ammielle's blank gaze met hers. She didn't roll down the window nor make any move to acknowledge Alexa's presence. It was as if she existed in her own world, unaffected by external distractions.

"You almost gave me a heart attack for thinking I was being followed and Thank Rao, it is you. Could you please stop the car? I mean," Alexa requested as she tried to open the door.

"My feet hurt," Alexa added.

"Do you not realize I am wearing a heel, don't you?"

And so her reason goes on and on but Ammielle was  driving idly.

Ammielle was not one to extend herself for anyone's convenience, or so she thought.

The encounter with Professor Alycia had been more emotionally taxing than Ammielle anticipated. Alycia was not just a colleague; she held a significant place in Ammielle's past. They had shared a bond, yet it was fraught with unspoken tensions and unfinished conversations. Alycia's sudden appearance dredged up memories that Ammielle had buried deep within herself, memories intertwined with guilt and loss.

Alycia had once been like family to Ammielle. Mikaella's tragic death had shattered their world, leaving Ammielle grappling with guilt and unanswered questions. Alycia's abrupt disappearance shortly thereafter had only gave her sense of loss and isolation.

Ammielle was about to stop when she realized the entrance is only a few feet away.

"Ammielle!"

The driver continued to ignore her until they arrived at a nearby building entrance.

"Stay safe," Ammielle bid in a low voice, speeding away.

Alexa stood there shocked and bewildered, not processing what had just happened.

"I was only friendly to her today. How can someone appear gentle and sweet but be so cold inside?" Alexa pondered.

"Ma'am!"

"I've been trying to reach you since I saw your missed call," Rafael, her driver, exclaimed upon finally driving up to her.

"I'm exhausted, Raf. Just take me home," Alexa replied wearily.