start of something new

Alexa's heart pounded as she stepped into the conference room, surrounded by the relentless glare of cameras and the barrage of probing questions. Each flash felt like an accusation, each inquiry a potential minefield that could detonate her carefully guarded secrets.

"Alexa, can you confirm your engagement to Ammielle?"

"When did your relationship begin?"

"Are there wedding plans in the works?"

The questions hit her like a tidal wave, threatening to overwhelm her composure. She glanced nervously at her father, seeking guidance in this unfamiliar territory. With a steadying breath, she chose her words carefully, deflecting the personal questions while trying not to deny outright what the world seemed intent on uncovering.

"Any personal questions should be directed to our public relations team," she managed to say, her voice betraying a hint of strain.

Beside her, her grandmother Michelle, a formidable figure in legal circles, was immersed in discussions about her upcoming candidacy and other professional matters. But then came the question that changed everything:

"As one of the respected legal persons in town, what is your opinion on the rumors regarding your granddaughter? How true are they?"

Alexa's blood ran cold as her grandmother, without a moment's hesitation, confirmed the engagement. Shock reverberated through Alexa's entire being, her mind racing to comprehend the implications of her grandmother's revelation.

The reporters swarmed around her like vultures, their questions now focused squarely on her. Fear and confusion clouded Alexa's thoughts as she struggled to maintain her composure under the scrutiny.

How could Grandma do this?

What will this mean for Ammielle?

How do I protect her now?

After what felt like an eternity, the press conference finally ended. In the privacy of her grandparents' office, emotions boiled over. Alexa confronted her grandmother, her voice trembling with a mixture of disbelief and frustration.

"Grandma, you can't just announce something like that without considering how it might affect the person involved in this. We don't even know her!" Alexa protested, her tone urgent and pleading.

Her grandmother, unwavering in her resolve, countered with a tone of authority that Alexa had always respected but now found suffocating

Alexa's frustration boiled over as she faced her grandmother's unwavering stance. Her grandmother's eyes flashed with a mixture of disappointment and determination.

"Open the door wide open when an opportunity knocks, that's how you deal business, My princess." Michelle's voice was sharp, each word cutting deep. "You should've taken care of the business instead of wasting your time on another degree! And you living with her is enough to say you know her. The election is getting closer. You know how much the company needs this!"

Alexa felt a surge of anger and helplessness. She turned to her grandfather, George, and her father, desperation etched on her face.

"Gramps, Papa, please, do something," Alexa pleaded, her voice cracking with emotion.

Her grandfather's eyes softened with concern, but he remained silent, caught between his wife's formidable resolve and his granddaughter's plea. Her father, standing beside him, looked equally torn, his hands clenched into fists at his sides.

"Michelle," George began, his voice gentle but firm, "maybe we should reconsider. This is a personal matter for Alexa and whoever that kid is."

"Her name is Ammielle!" Alexa shot.