Unexpected Night

I pulled into the front door. I turned to Ammielle, relieved to see her eyes fluttering open slightly. "We're here," I said gently. "Let's get you inside."

I wrapped an arm around Ammielle for support as we made our way to the entrance. Thankfully, a few people were still working at this hour. I knew I couldn't carry her alone.

"Miss! Let me help you." John, the errand man, rushed over, taking Ammielle's other side.

"Take her to my room, please," I instructed.

As we entered, Abigail appeared, her face etched with concern. "Hun! What is it?"

"Call Dr. Sean quickly," I asked Abigail, trying to keep my voice steady.

"What else do you need?" she asked, ready to assist.

"I need you to change her," I said with worry, knowing Ammielle needed to be comfortable.

John carefully carried Ammielle inside as I followed closely behind. A few minutes later, Dr. Sean arrived, his face calm and professional despite the urgency.

"Good evening, Miss. Where to?" he asked.

"Please sit for a while. She needs to change," I replied. Abigail came downstairs just then.

"Is she decent?" I asked.

"Yes, Alexa. Good evening, Dr. Sean. This way," Abigail guided him to Alexa's room.

I stood by the door, watching as Dr. Sean examined Ammielle. My worry grew with each passing second, but seeing her surrounded by people who cared brought me a small measure of comfort.

"Her fever is quite high," Dr. Sean said, his tone serious. "I'll give her something to bring it down. She needs rest and plenty of fluids."

"Thank you, Doctor," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

He nodded, giving Ammielle a reassuring smile before turning to me. "She'll be alright, Miss."

After Dr. Sean left, I stayed by Ammielle's side, watching her breathe more steadily now. I gently brushed a strand of hair from her face, feeling a wave of relief wash over me.

"You're going to be okay," I whispered, more to myself than to her.

Abigail placed a hand on my shoulder, offering silent support. "I'll get you something," she said softly before leaving the room.

I went to the shower while waiting for my dinner. The warm water helped ease the tension from my muscles. "You were right," I whispered to myself, "today was a long day. More like you made it a long day."

After what felt like an eternity, I stepped out of the shower, feeling somewhat refreshed. I slipped into my red nightgown and covered it with a soft robe, tying it securely around my waist. The steam from the shower still hung in the air as I moved to the mirror, taking a moment to breathe deeply and center myself.

As I walked back into the bedroom, I glanced over at Ammielle, who was still resting, her breathing steady. My worry for her had subsided slightly, but I knew I'd keep a vigilant watch over her.

Just as I was about to head downstairs, there was a soft knock on the door. Abigail peeked in, carrying a tray with a warm meal. "I thought you might be hungry," she said, smiling kindly.

"Thank you, Abigail." I replied, taking the tray from her.

"Is she the one who occupied most of your evenings?"

"No. Not ever, Abi,"

"The worry on your face. I've never seen that before. Your father will be happy about this."