An Alphas warning

Maverick paced the den, jaw clenched as he mustered his resolve. He had left Arabella and Jasmine in their room for the night to sleep off the days activities. He knew this call could reignite an ancient feud between packs, but he had to protect Arabella and Jasmine at all costs.Taking a steadying breath, he pulled out his phone and dialed the number for the Bloodmoon pack's territory. It rang twice before a gruff voice answered. "State your business.""This is Maverick of the Moonlight pack. I need to speak with your alpha - now." He kept his tone carefully neutral, neither aggressive nor deferential.There was a brief pause, then, "One moment."After a few tense minutes, the unmistakable gravelly timbre of Darius came through the line. "Well, well, if it isn't the young alpha calling for help I presume."Maverick reined in his temper at the mocking words. "I'm not calling about me, Darius. This is about the woman and child you discarded like garbage."A rumbling chuckle cut through the speaker. "Aww, did the runaway finally find herself a sympathetic ear to cry to?"White-hot rage lanced through Maverick's chest. "You insignificant bastard," he snarled. "Is torturing your own pack how you get your rocks off?""That bitter she-wolf was useless, aside from warming my bed on occasion. And that sniveling runt of a half-breed was a waste of resources, she was supposed to die" Darius sneered.Maverick's wolf rattled inside him, aching to tear into this sadistic excuse for an alpha. "That 'runt' you speak of is your daughter, Darius."There was a telling pause. When Darius spoke again, his tone was clipped. "Meaning what, exactly?""Jasmine. The little girl you left for dead in the forest two years ago?" Maverick waited for the meaning to sink in. "She's your blood."A startled intake of breath preceded a menacing growl. "You're mistaken. I sired no such—""Save it," Maverick cut him off sharply. "Jasmine carries your scent as sure as the moon rises. She's your flesh and blood that you callously abandoned."Darius was silent for several beats. Finally, he ground out, "Even if that's true, the girl is better off dead. She's weak, a poor excuse for a werewolf. The product of a stressful night""Which is precisely why I'm calling," Maverick stated, toneless. "Jasmine is under the protection of my pack now, her and her guardian Arabella. If I catch so much as your scent near them, I'll kill you myself."The threat hung in the air, hot and dangerous. Maverick could hear Darius's low, rumbling breaths across the line.At last, Darius spoke, his tone laced with poorly concealed malice. "Tell me, are you so eager to court war between our packs? Over a pathetic she-wolf and a half-breed whelp?""They are members of my family now," Maverick said, firm and unwavering. "And I will do whatever is required to shield them from your cruelties. Back down, Darius. This is your sole warning."An inhuman sound rumbled through the speaker - whether a growl or a chuckle, Maverick couldn't tell. "I will not have my blood appearing in a weak child. I will come for her"The line went dead. Maverick slowly lowered the phone, his wolf roiling and restless within him. He could only hope Darius heeded the warning. Because if that twisted monster showed his face near Arabella or Jasmine, Maverick would show no mercy in tearing him apart. Maverick being unable to sleep returned to preparing the training for his pack, unable to fathom the thought of anything happening to his mate or Jasmine.