Jasmine

I could hear his footsteps thundering behind me as I tore through the cavernous manor, my heart pounding in my ears. I flew down a curved staircase, finally losing him somewhere in the labyrinth of halls and rooms. Slowing to a walk, I cautiously made my way towards what looked like the front entrance, peering around corners for any sign of him.

As I reached for the ornate door handles, his arms snaked around my waist from behind, that achingly familiar wildwood scent enveloping me. "Let me go! I have to get Jasmine!" I cried, thrashing against his iron grip.

A menacing growl rumbled against the back of my neck. "Who is her father?"

"I don't know," I admitted through gritted teeth. "She was a rogue, like me." I barely whispered the last part.

His hold loosened slightly at my words, but he didn't release me. "Why are you a rogue?" His voice had softened, but an undercurrent of tension remained.

"It's none of your business," I growled, then added in a pained whisper, "And it's not like anybody cares."

There was a pregnant pause before he asked, "Where is Jasmine?"

"At school," I replied tonelessly.

"One of the women from my pack will pick her up and bring her here" Maverick spoke.

I didn't struggle as he scooped me up and threw me over his shoulder like a tantrum-throwing child, carrying me back up the stairs and into his study. He set me down roughly in the chair beside the desk before locking the door with an ominous click of the key. I huffed petulantly and plopped down, shooting daggers at him with my glare.

Instead of retaking his seat behind the desk, he leaned back against the edge directly in front of me, arms crossed over his broad chest. 

"What's your name?" He spoke.

"Arabella," I replied tersely.

"Why are you afraid of me? Why won't you accept this?"

I froze, his question sending a dozen warring thoughts ricocheting through my mind in a deafening roar. Why was I afraid of him? Because he's an alpha, and all alphas are the same - cruel, cold-hearted, wicked...

"But he isn't him," my wolf voice piped up tentatively.

"He is an alpha, they're all the same," I shot back.

"Please, give him a chance. He isn't like them, he isn't like...him. He's your mate, he's made for you...for us," she pleaded desperately.

"What if he is like them?" I challenged, fear causing my mental tone to waver.

"He won't hurt you like he did, I can feel it in my soul. Trust me, trust us."

There was a heavy pause as I weighed her words. Part of me recoiled at the thought of ever letting anyone in again after my past horrors...but maybe this time could be different.

"I'll...I'll try," I finally conceded.

I was jolted from my inner turmoil by Maverick shaking my shoulders, his handsome features creased with concern. 

"Are you okay?" He asked gently.

"Yeah...I'm fine," I replied woodenly, though my tone was clearly anything but convincing. He straightened and leaned back against the edge of the desk, watching me intently.

"I'll try," I whispered, so soft I wasn't even sure if he could hear me with his supernatural senses. But the way his gray eyes shone with tentative hope told me he had.