𝐱𝐯𝐢. past reminder

CALL YOUR MOM

ACT ONE: i'm called
mr forgettable

chapter sixteen. past reminder

THE WIND WAS HEAVY AND LOUD AS THE Argo II shot through the sea

Annabeth stood next to Leo, yelling against the roar of the wind. "Percy says he talked to a Nereid in Charleston Harbor!"

"Good for him!" Leo yelled back.

"The Nereid said we should seek help from Chiron's brothers."

"What does that mean? The Party Ponies?" Leo had never met Chiron's crazy centaur relatives, but he'd heard rumors of Nerf sword-fights, root beer-chugging contests, and Super Soakers filled with pressurized whipped cream.

"Not sure," Annabeth said. "But I've got coordinates. Can you input latitude and longitude in this thing?"

"I can input star charts and order you a smoothie, if you want. Of course I can do latitude and longitude!"

Annabeth rattled off the numbers. Leo somehow managed to punch them in while holding the wheel with one hand. A red dot popped up on the bronze display screen.

"That location is in the middle of the Atlantic," he said.
"Do the Party Ponies have a yacht?"

Annabeth shrugged helplessly. "Just hold the ship together until we get farther from Charleston. Jason and Percy will keep up the winds!"

"Happy fun time!"

It seemed like forever, but finally the sea calmed and the winds died.

"Valdez," said Coach Hedge, with surprising gentleness. "Let me take the wheel. You've been steering for two hours."

"Two hours?"

"Yeah. Give me the wheel."

"Coach?"

"Yeah, kid?"

"I can't unclench my hands."

It was true. Leo's fingers felt like they had turned to stone. His eyes burned from staring at the horizon. His knees were marshmallows. Mitchell walked over and helped him, but he seemed preoccupied with his own thoughts.

Leo took one last look at the console, listening to Festus chatter and whir a status report. Leo felt like he was forgetting something. He stared at the controls, trying to think, but it was no good. His eyes could hardly focus. "Just watch for monsters," he told the coach. "And be careful with the damaged stabiliser. And—"

"I've got it covered," Coach Hedge promised. "Now, go away!"

Leo nodded wearily. He staggered across the deck toward his friends. Percy and Jason sat with their backs against the mast, their heads slumped in exhaustion. Annabeth and Piper were trying to get them to drink some water.