sixteen

"Wait right here—" Jacob started as we met up with Barry and Wes.

"And for the love of God, please don't wander off," Barry interjected as we all stood by the bar.

"You really expect me to stand here all alone?" I almost yelled back in confusion. "With no way to get in touch with you if something happens?"

"Relax. Nobody in here is going to touch you knowing you're with our company. Frank may be annoying, but he's harmless, unfortunately," Barry sighed at my distress. "I'd love a valid reason to throw him a punch."

"Give us twenty minutes, I promise," Jacob urged as he placed a soft hand on my shoulder. My eyes bounced back and forth between Barry and Wes's at the minuscule ounce of tenderness Jacob showed me in the crowded room. He could sense my apprehensiveness about the situation.

"You're not the best at keeping your word. I'm holding you to it," I rolled my eyes in annoyance that I'm going to be standing here for, most likely, a solid forty minutes knowing them. I took a seat at the bar and turned around, not facing them anymore. My hands twiddled for a second until I finally turned my head to see if they left. There was no trace of the three men I've gotten to spend a little too much time with the last week.

I rested my head on my fists as my legs dangled off the barstool. This feels very familiar. One thing they are consistent at is leaving me to fend for myself. I waved the bartender over asking for a glass of champagne since it's the only beverage I am allowed to have, apparently. I sipped on the bubbly refreshment for a few moments before turning to the side to face the crowd.

People watching is actually more exciting than being in the conversations themselves. My eyes flickered over to a couple in the corner. They were clearly intoxicated leaning on each other for support. The woman looked not too much older than me with a man obviously decades her senior resting his crisp suited arm over her shoulder. I shook my head with a small chuckle knowing she will take his money and run as soon as he's dead. Her eyes caught mine staring as she winked her green eyes at me with a mutual understanding of the situation. Most of these people are probably delusional living lives like this. She's the only one with a brain in here. Get in, establish a relationship, and get the assets. I can't imagine the years of being by the ancient man's side would be worth it, but I assume he's got a great deal to offer her personally.

My head pivoted to the other side of the ballroom, locking eyes with an all too familiar dirty blonde haired man speaking to a woman with her back facing me. Her hair was voluminous with curls cascading down her back. I almost had to double take thinking it was Lana. This champagne must finally be kicking in. Frank is an attractive, well off man. He seems to face life as happy-go-lucky as they come. And to mention, he has never really rubbed me the wrong way like he does the boys. Even Barry admitted tonight that Frank is harmless, so why make him an enemy? He actually took his time to show me around one of his favorite places in this city, unlike the people who actually brought me here. I was thrown to the wolves and Frank graciously took me under his wing for a day. It is the complete opposite of Jacob forcing Barry to spend some actual quality time with me. I was actually coming around to his softer side before Connell had to weasel his way in and ruin it all. I imagine if my phone had never gotten stolen we would all be relaxing around the pool right now. Jacob has barely spent time with me, and if he is, we are either arguing in each other's faces or making up for harsh words with soft touches. As I got lost in my thoughts, I realized I was still staring right into Franks direction as he swiftly glided towards me.

Shit.

"I think I've seen this scene before," Frank joked as he stood in front of me.

"Me too," I quickly replied knowing there's no way I can avoid a conversation with this man. He would talk to a wall if it spoke back. He doesn't care that I'm associated with the boys.