eight

I wake up feeling a pit in my stomach, knowing today my life could change forever. I get dressed for possibly the last shift I'll be working at The Lilac Lounge, putting on my ripped tights for a little fuck you to Filip. Maybe he will fire me so I won't have to make this decision all on my own. I fixed my hair into a tight ponytail and walked out of my apartment, making sure to lock it.

I embraced the drive to the country club. Every stop sign, every hill my car struggled to climb. This might not be my life anymore. The sun melted over my face, making my moisturized skin look like it was dipped in a pot of honey. The summer heat and lack of air conditioning in my car making sweat pool under my eyes. I rolled all my windows down, breathing in the sweet scent of fresh cut grass. Each farm I passed in my small town on the outskirts of the city tugging at my heart strings. I finally parked at the club, sitting in my car for a second to collect my thoughts. Do I tell everyone before my shift or after? I'm not really sure how to handle a situation like this. I could tell Filip at the beginning, saving the sappy conversation with my coworkers for the end, sparing all of our emotions during tonight's shift. Or I could tell Lana and Brandon first, asking for their input on whether I should accept the job or not as a final confirmation. I know they will encourage me to take it either way.

I peeled out of my sunburnt leather seat, feeling dread as I stepped into the establishment. I tried to keep to myself, doing my opening duties. My head hung low as I cut lemons, filled ice bins, and swept my section. I heard Lana's voice behind me as I quietly finished my side work.

"You're very quiet today!" Lana emerges from behind me, leaning on a table I just swept under.

"I know I didn't sleep well last night," I lied. I actually slept quite well after my conversation with Jacob. I fell asleep thinking about the luxurious life I could live not having to wait tables to pay my bills again.

"Hey, don't stress it. You know how Filip is. He gets angry and then pretends nothing happened the next day. I'm sure you he wont be an issue today," She tried reassuring me from his outburst yesterday. I couldn't care less about Filip, honestly.

"You're right," I said digging my nails into the palm of my hand, wanting to tell her the real dilemma.

"That's not all though?" Lana reads on my face as she steps closer, rubbing my back. "What's wrong, Char?"

"It's a long story and I'm not sure what I'm going to do about it. I love you guys so much and I don't want to leave you," I spilled, almost tearing up.

"Woah, Woah. It's okay. You can tell me anything. I'm here for you no matter what. Just don't tell me you killed someone," She laughed.

"Oh then I guess I can't tell you," I said trying to lighten to mood so I don't cry.

"Okay, really. What's up?" She inquired.

"I got a really fucking good job offer. It's salaried, I get to travel, and I don't have to worry about all the bullshit I get here," My hands shook as I confessed everything.

"Charlotte that sounds amazing! Why couldn't you tell me?" She sounded ecstatic for me.

"Well it's for Jacob's company... and our first job is tomorrow," I paused. "In New York."

Lana took a second to process this new information.

"I mean yes that's really soon, but I wouldn't want you to feel bad for doing this for yourself. You deserve better. Maybe this is better. It's definitely sounding more rewarding than this shit hole. You can only care so much about James Beards and Michelin stars for so long. This isn't your career, and I'm really happy you're moving on," She said making it sound like I would drop off the face of the earth, never to see her again.