~ Afraid ~

Jaeger's POV:

I couldn't bear the look on Evie's face as she looked at the tangle of wires in my hand her brows knitting together in confusion. I look at the two cops who were eyeing them with suspicion. "This is spyware in laymen terms. Basically the same kind I found in your house Evie." At this the lead detective cocks a brow at me. "And how would you know this, Mr. Montgomery?" The fight it takes to not roll my eyes at the question. "Because I own a company that designs and sells security systems." My tone is cool as I meet their gazes.  "I have a degree in technology so I know what I'm talking about." I could forgive their skepticism on the simple fact that I didn't exactly fit the stereotypical  man who owned a security company. Most were clean cut and in collared shirts. Here I am in a v necked t shirt, jeans and well worn boots. Not to mention the tattoos that decorated from my shoulders to the backs of my hands. "I've heard of your company, Mr. Montgomery. I use it myself." I blink at the cop and mutter a thank you before getting back to the subject at hand. "This will help us narrow down the suspect list. Whoever planted the bugs and listening devices in both Evie's house and here knows what he's doing." Not to mention is batshit crazy. The thought had a muscle twitching along my jaw as an icy feeling crawled into my veins.

I had to remain calm in front of the cops and not rage about it in front of them. One of them wrote in a small black notebook while the other one produced gloves and took the wires from me with a shake of his head. "In my ten years on the force I've never heard of something like this before." The cop bagged the wires and looked at them, "Perhaps you should find somewhere safe to stay for the time being Miss Dawson. Someone who'd go to these lengths to keep track of you isn't always mentally stable so watch your back." Evie's look of horror had me gritting my teeth so hard they ached. When I was able to speak without being hostile I give the officers a tight smile. "Look Officer, I know you're being well intentioned but you're not exactly helping matters none. She's safe with me but we'll be sure to call should anything else happen." I didn't have to tell them what I thought of their advice when it was saturated in my tone and words. Not hostile but bordering on impatient. I still had to finish installing the new system in place and online. That had come to a screeching halt when I found the wires hooked into the old security system. It had made me sick to my stomach that this sick bastard may have been watching Evie for even longer than she knows.

I've seen my fair share of true crime shows; ironically enough more than a few on stalkers and had done the research. Judging from this sicko's pattern he was escalating and I feared for Evie and what her stalker may do if he managed to get his hands on her. An icy chill floods my veins and I become hyper focused on my task of getting the system up and running. "If you Officers don't mind I need to get back to work." I glance at Evie and give her a reassuring nod before spinning on my boot heel and finish the task of removing the old equipment. I'm so focused on getting the job done that Evie knocks into me and stumbles back. She looks pale and sickly that I I get out of her way so that she can hurry to the bathroom. Once the old equipment had been properly disposed of I go inside to check on her softly knocking on the door. There's no one in the bathroom so I go in my ears instantly picking up on the sounds of violent retching. Following the sound I get there just in time for Evie to sit back her face sheet white and clammy to the touch. "Was it something you ate?" She instantly shakes her head and lowers her head with her shoulders trembling. I draw her from the stall and to her feet before enfolding her in my grasp.