Part 12

Lucienne traced circles into the pillowcase beside her head. She had actually been awake for the last 30 minutes. She had awakened to find herself trapped in Erno's grasps. She contemplated if she should leave but decided against it as she feared she would wake him. She heard him stir a bit before she sensed that he was probably awake. He sat up slightly and checked to find her awake. Instead of actually waking for the day, he wrapped his arms around her tighter. "Erno!" She laughed and turned to him. She sat up and he followed. Ennox stood and entered the bathroom. He came out minutes later, looking refreshed and awake, and sat back on the bed. She took her turn and came out. She didn't sit down and instead looked into the closet. "Why in a rush? Why not come and sit with me?" Erno stared at her from the bed. She turned and looked as if she was thinking about it. "Hm I don't know. I guess im just used to waking up early." She closed the closet and sat on the bed next to Erno. He curled up slightly and placed his head on her lap, like how they normally would. She played with the strands of hair that fell from his braid. They spent their morning together like that.

A week later they were on their way to the palace. Lucienne nervously tapped her finger on her dress. She hadn't been nervous about going to the palace before but that was because she didn't have to meet the emperor those other times. Erno watched. "We don't have to go if you don't wish to my love. We can just go home." He placed his hand atop of hers. She shook her head and smiled wryly. "No, it's fine. Everything is fine!" They pulled up to the palace and exited the carriage. They entered and were immediately greeted by a man announcing the emperor. The emperor was an older man, about the same age as Lucienne's father, and he had grey hair. His eyes looked tired but fierce. Behind him was a younger man. He had short white hair and they both shared brown eyes. They announced the prince and Lucienne and Erno bowed. "Welcome, my son." The emperor looked down at Erno. He turned to Lucienne and smiled faintly. "What a beautiful fiancé you have here. I'm sure Duke Delverne was positively elated that you were moving up in the world, huh Lucienne dear?" Lucienne couldn't tell whether he was being genuine or if he was accusing her of seducing the prince for power but she kept a calm smile and nodded along. It was no secret that King Ryholm disliked the second prince very much so it wouldn't be a shock if he was also being rude to Lucienne. "Come come. We shouldn't make you stand for too long." He began to lead them to a sitting room. They all sat. Erno had his hand interlocked with Lucienne's the whole time. She looked up to see the first prince staring at her. She hadn't heard much about Prince Lynon and she didn't know much about what he was like. She simply smile and looked to the emperor. "When do you plan on getting married?" The emperor stirred his tea. Lucienne and Erno had talked about this and come to the conclusion that it should be during the spring. It was now summer do they hadn't a long wait. "In spring." Erno nodded. The emperor thought about it then turned to Lucienne. "How did you meet Ennox?" He took a sip from his cup. "We met at a festival in town. We continued to send letters and meet from there." Lucienne and Erno had prepared for that question and changed their meeting story to one they thought the emperor would deem more respectable. The emperor hummed in acknowledgment and the conversation continued from there. The longer the conversation went on the more unbearable Prince Lynon's staring was getting. She waited for a pause in their conversation before she asked to use a washroom to freshen up. "I can escort you." Lucienne looked in shock at Lynon as he stood up. "No no it's fine. I will have one of the maids take me." She waved her hands and began to walk to the door. She looked at Erno and he was staring daggers into his brother's head. She knew he couldn't leave the conversation with his father and she was suddenly regretting ever asking to use the restroom. She sighed and agreed and they left the room. They walked in silence but suddenly when they turned a corner where no maids or butlers were to be found, Prince Lynon began to speak. "Lady Lucienne, are you happy with my brother?" He turned to her. She blinked quickly and looked up at him. "Y-yes I am. Why ask that?" She tilted her head. The prince sat in silence for a few seconds. He darted his eyes around before suddenly pinning Lucienne to the wall. "Your highn-" He cut her off. "Listen Lucienne, I think you are gorgeous, far too perfect for my lousy brother. I am offering you something better than him. Marry me and become empress. All you must do is produce a male heir." He smiled down at her. So this is the type of person the prince is? She knew that all he meant by 'produce a heir' was that he wanted to sleep with her and that she'd be lucky if he followed his promise of marrying him, let alone making her empress. She looked at him in a mix of disgust and disbelief. "Your highness I am going to walk away pretend this conversation did not happen. And I suggest you do the same as I am happily engaged and nothing will change that." She shoved his arm out of the way and barged into the bathroom. By the time she left the bathroom, he had returned to the sitting room. She had luckily remembered her way back. Immediately after entering, she felt his gaze on her. She sat beside Erno and squeezed his hand. She felt the intensity of Lynon's stare grow.

On the carriage ride back to their palace, Lucienne confided in Erno about what Prince Lynon had said to her. She could tell he was growing furious and she tried to calm him. She remembered something the prince had said. "Erno I remember the day my father and I came to deny the marriage you said to me 'we could rule together.' What did you mean by that?" She looked up to him. He chuckled and tucked her hair behind her ear. "My dear Lucienne... I am going to kill my brother, and make you Empress." Lucienne's eyes widened. She didn't even have to ask if he was pulling her leg as it was obvious that he was being dead serious. She didn't know what to say so she leaned in. They shared a kiss and Erno laughed. It seemed she had again agreed to something she hadn't meant to by kissing him.