♡-15

Bang Chan led a good life.

When he returned home, he continued his studies and eventually moved to South Korea.

He never returned to the beach bar.

And, although we texted and video chatted, we never saw each other in person again.

Summer romance broke me and it took me a while to get back on my feet.

Chan was a part of me I had to let go for the sake of his future.

Text messages and calls became less frequent until they stopped altogether.

We grew older, got stable jobs, and led our lives separately.

I heard he married a beautiful Korean woman. I was happy for him. I accepted.

He changed his hair color to black, dyed to beautiful golden waves and cut those curls.

He changed his image for the sake of his future. He became a better man for his new family.

But the golden hour and sparkly surface of the sea water will always remind me of him; his golden aura, his precious smiles, warm hugs, and loving kisses will forever have a special place in my mind and heart.

Even now as I'm walking down the beach, my bare feet digging into the warm sand as my children play with our new family dog, I am reminiscing about the precious golden summer that happened twenty years ago while not bearing any sort of regret that I was once in love with a man named, Bang Chan.

He was my sun, warming me up every day for three months.

My hand goes to the empty area around my neck while my golden wedding ring glisters in the afternoon sun. I watch the sparkly golden water and smile.

A strong arm wraps around my lower back and I smile at the man beside me. He plants a soft kiss on my temple and I smile. My husband is not Chan but I love him nonetheless.

Because, just how Chan found his golden person, I found myself one as well. The one I'm sharing my life and heart, the good and the bad, with, walking through life and this beach while knowing this is where I belong as my past shaped me in who I am today.

I feel loved and I share that love with someone else, wishing that same love and happiness to Chan and his spouse.

I will never forget him, his golden hair, and warm smile.

I am thankful for Chan appearing in my life and showing me what true love is.

Thank you, my golden. Forever...