Cap'n - Hatfields & McCoys

"Sarah!"I called out, as I stepped onto the front porch. "Sarah!"

I let out a small sigh when I didn't receive a response. I looked out over our small yard, looking for my younger sister. "Sarah!" I called one more time.

"Boo!" She yelled as she jumped out from behind one of the horses.

"What are you doin'?" I asked, cracking a smile.

"Hidin'!" She exclaimed.

I laughed and nodded.

"Clearly! C'mon. It's time for supper." I told her.

She smiled and nodded, smoothing out her dress. She skipped over to me and slid her fingers through mine. I tucked a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear, before leading her inside.

"Charlotte, help me set the table." My mamma immediately told me. I nodded and walked over to where she was to help. Once everything was set, I sat down at the larger table in between my older brothers, Michael and Eddis.

"James, say the blessing."

My pap nodded slowly and bowed his head. I laced my fingers through my brothers' and did the same.

"Dear father, bless my family and don't let no harm come to them. Amen."

"Amen" we all echoed.

After we ate and cleaned up, I attempted to bathe myself. I stripped down to my nightgown and dipped a washcloth into a pitcher of water and cleaned the exposed areas. My brothers were taking me into town tomorrow and I wanted to look somewhat decent.

"Charlotte?"

"Yeah maw?" I called back.

"Come here, dear. I'll braid your hair."

I emptied the water and walked into her room, sitting down on the floor in front of her.

She began combing through my hair, and pulled it tightly before twisting it together.

"So..." She began. "You're at that age where men will start to be noticin' you... And your father and I have arranged for a possible suitor to go into to town with you and your brothers tomorrow."

"Who?" I asked quietly.

"Tolbert McCoy. Randall's son."

I nodded slowly. I knew who Tolbert was. He was good friends with Michael. They were practically inseparable.

"There." She said, finishing my hair. "Beautiful."

I forced a smile.

"Thanks maw. Good night."

I gently placed a kiss on her cheek and went into my bedroom. My sisters and I all slept in the same room and they were fast asleep. Mary and Flora shared one bed, while Sarah and I shared another. I quietly slid under the blanket and wrapped my arm around her waist.

"Charlie?" Sarah whispered, choking back a sob.

"What's wrong?" I asked, worriedly.

"Please don't ever leave us.."

I felt my heart clinch at her words. She must've heard what our maw had said about Tolbert.

"I won't... I promise."

I pulled her closer to my body and placed a kiss on her temple.

"I love you, Sarah."

"I love you too, Charlie."

--

HI!

So this is a take off from The mini-series, Hatfields & McCoys.

I wrote this almost a year ago right after the series came out, and I've kinda been playing around with it and re-writing it.

I've been trying to research some of the information about this era so I'll try and keep is as true as possible. But if some of the facts aren't right please don't attack me!

Anyway!! If you liked it comment and vote! (: