16 | Trip

I woke up to the most excruciating headache I'd ever experienced. It felt as though someone were relentlessly pounding my skull against a brick wall. Slowly sitting up, I scanned the room to find the chair next to my bed vacant.

Swinging my legs over the edge of the bed, I prepared myself for the trek to the kitchen. All I could focus on was the urgent need for water and pain relief. Just as I was about to rise, Zayn entered the room.

"Open your hand," he grumbled, and I complied with his request.

He dropped two white pills into my hand and handed me a chilled glass of water. Never had I been so grateful for someone as I was this morning. Hastily, I swallowed the pills and drank the entire glass of water.

Setting the cup on my bedside table, I turned to Zayn. "Thank you," I murmured.

"What was that? I didn't catch it," he replied, sitting on the chair. I knew he heard me, he just wanted me to say it again.

I released an exasperated sigh and shot him a glare. "I said thank you," I reiterated sharply.

A faint smirk played at the corner of his lips. "I thought that was the last thing you were going to tell me," he quipped, alluding to my words from last night.

My head throbbed too much to engage in an argument with him at the moment. Slowly, I rose to my feet and made my way to the closet, selecting a matching set of black lace underwear and bra. Glancing at Zayn through the mirror, I found him engrossed in his phone.

I fetched an oversized t-shirt and headed to the bathroom, flicking on the shower. Stepping under the hot water, I let it work its magic on my pounding headache. After swiftly completing my usual routine, I emerged and changed into the clothes I'd picked out.

Water droplets trailed from my hair as I made my way to the sink. I brushed my teeth, applied moisturizer and sunscreen, then tossed my clothes from last night into the laundry basket before returning to my room.

"Pack your bags, we're going on a trip," he commanded, his gaze still fixed on his phone.

"What?" I asked, bewildered. "I can't just go on a trip, I have school tomorrow."

He raised his head to meet my gaze. "You've got an hour to pack. By the time I return, you'd better be ready." Pushing up from the chair, he walked towards my bedroom door. "And pack warm, we're headed to a cabin in the mountains."

I was on the brink of protesting when he exited the room. After a few moments, I heard the front door open and shut. Stepping over to the window, I watched him climb into his car and drive away.

With a frustrated groan, I descended the stairs and retrieved my phone from where I'd tossed it on the couch the night before. Opening my messages, I saw Chloe's text from last night, confirming she'd made it home safely.

Switching off my phone, I returned to my room. Entering the closet, I fetched my luggage and placed it on the floor. Unzipping it, I began to pack.

I prioritized packing essentials, starting with coordinated sets of underwear and bras, as well as pajamas. When it came to clothing, I surveyed my options, considering his advice to dress warmly. Opting for practicality, I selected several jackets, coats, leggings, hoodies, and sweatpants.

Ensuring my skincare and makeup were included, I also tossed in a few pairs of bikinis, just in case. With various pairs of shoes added to my luggage, I zipped it shut and returned to my closet.

I swiftly pulled on a pair of black leggings and slipped into an oversized black hoodie, completing the look with boots before exiting the closet. Glancing at my reflection, I opted to skip the makeup, feeling too hungover to bother about my appearance.