19 | Lake

Exiting the hot shower, I slipped into comfy sweatpants and a hoodie, relishing the cozy feeling against my skin. My mind kept replaying last night's events with Zayn, leaving me feeling a mix of excitement and nerves.

As I walk out of the bedroom, I noticed the house was empty. He must have headed out before I woke up.

Entering the living room, I began looking for my phone, following the sound of its ringing. After searching for a while longer, I finally found it and quickly answered the call without checking the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Do you want to know what I woke up to this morning?" My mom's voice pierced through the line, catching me off guard. It felt surreal hearing her after so long.

"Mom?" I exclaimed, still taken aback.

"Who else would it be?" She retorted sharply. "Why did I receive a call from your school saying you were absent today?" Her tone dripped with anger, evident even over the phone.

It didn't come as a shock that her call revolved around school matters. Yet, it ignited a simmering anger within me. How could she feel entitled to be mad at me when we hadn't spoken in nearly two months?

"I don't know, Mom. Maybe because I decided not to go," I retorted, frustration seeping into my tone.

"Why on earth wouldn't you go to school? Unless you're on your deathbed or critically ill, you're expected to attend every day, Aurora," her voice rose in annoyance.

"Maybe I am on my deathbed or critically ill," I shot back, my anger boiling over. "But you wouldn't know that, would you? Because neither you nor dad bother to pick up my calls."

"Don't be melodramatic, Aurora. You know we're swamped with work," she dismissed, her tone sharp.

"Yeah, it's pathetic how you both have prioritized work over me ever since I was a kid," I snapped, my nails digging into my palm as rage consumed me. "It's like I don't even have fucking parents."

"Mind your tone and language, young lady," she warned. "While I may not be there to physically discipline you, I can certainly stop sending you money."

I couldn't help but let out a humorless laugh. "Do you really think I care?" I challenged. "By now, you and dad have sent me so much money that I could put myself through college. Twice. So go ahead, cut me off."

Deep down, I knew she wouldn't follow through with her threat, she just enjoyed using it to intimidate me into following her rules.

She sighed deeply. "Aurora, you're giving me a headache," she complained. I could practically envision her rubbing her forehead. "I don't want to receive another call from your school."

With that, she hung up. Fuming with anger, I snatched the nearest cup and hurled it against the wall. I watched as it shattered into countless pieces, scattering glass across the floor.

I was furious.

"What the fuck?" Zayn's voice startled me, and I nearly jumped out of my skin. I turned to see him standing by the front door, staring at the mess.

"I'll clean it up, don't worry," I muttered, heading to the room. Dealing with him was the last thing I wanted right now.

I heard his footsteps trailing behind me until they stopped upon reaching the room. He grabbed my arm and spun me around to face him.

He opened his mouth to speak, but I cut him off swiftly. "How long were you standing there?" I demanded.

"Long enough to see the cup meet the fucking wall," he replied.