Chapter 36

Madison's POV

We got to our hotel in the super early hours of the morning. As we arrived, Ella when to check us in.

She checked in and went to her room. I put my hood up and walked in head down not wanting people to recognise me even if it was the early hours of the morning.

I texted Ella when I was in the elevator to open the door for me and sprinted to the room.

She let me in and I went to put my suitcase down. I barely got my shoes off before Ella gave me the look.

"I waited for this since we left the other hotel," SHe said as the door clicked locked.

"I can't lie, I wanted it too. Just not with my whole family around -"

"Shhh," She said putting her finger on my lips. "Just shut up and kiss me,"

"Sounds good to me,"

-----

12:00

Ella's POV

Madison and I decided to go to the beach today. We woke up pretty late, so we headed out late.

First, we found a store to get things like towels and sunscreen. We also bought a football because we needed to practise for at least 10 mins a day. It should be way more, but this is technically our break. 

"Are people gonna say stuff about us?" She asked me.

"Say what?" I asked as we walked across the sand.

"You know, stupid stuff,"

"What kind of stupid stuff?"

"Speculation and stuff,"

"Let them think what they want and whatever it is it's probably right," I said.

"Huh?"

"People make stuff up all the time. Twitter people, Instagram people ..."

"What do they make up?"

"Rumours. But who cares? Why do I care what people think of me? As long as it doesn't hurt us or our reputations, I'm fine with it," I said sitting down.

"I guess," Madison said also sitting down. I took off my clothes that were over my swimming costume and grabbed the sunscreen.

"This is meant to be enjoyable. Not stressful. You have a few days before you go back to your school work, and I have to go back to Manchester. So just live a little while we're here,"

We kicked around the football for a bit just passing back and forth and juggling the people. Some people were staring at us probably knowing who we are but no one said anything.

Once we sat back down, I just stared out towards the rest of the beach.

"You know, I don't wanna do another year of school after this year. I'm just going to play football," She said. "I just don't wanna disappoint my parents,"

"You could never, Madison. They are so proud of you. Your energy, strength, persistence, dedication ... they would be crazy not to be proud of you. Because I am. I'm proud of you,"

"Thanks, Ella,"

"I mean it. I know Charlotte's proud of you. And Hannah looks up to you. She wants to be just like you,"

"I don't think she wants to be JUST like me,"

"Why not?"

"I have flaws. Just like everyone else. You just don't understand. I'm hiding the biggest secret like ever from my parents while loads of our team know. That bad,"

"I'm hiding it too. And you know what?"

"What?"

"I'm a bad role model. I told my parents I would come see them last night. And here I am instead. They're probably upset with me. But it's worth it," I said.

"You're avoiding them, aren't you?" She asked.

"Is it that obvious?"

"Yep. You're like an open book,"

"Nah, you just have the key to the diary about me,"

"So does everyone," she replied laughing.

I moved a bit closer stand whispered in her eye, "You had my heart since school if you would have taken it. But you had that guy. And you didn't think about me outside of football,"

"Huh?"

"I'm going to regret saying this. Basically, I've had a crush on you since school. You were and still are perfect,"

"As I said earlier. I'm far from that. And I never will be perfect. But how did I not know this? Was it a thing?"

"No. A very select few knew. No one outside the circle knew," I sighed.

"Wow,"

"I went to all your sports games to see you. I didn't really care about you other sports. Just you. And I went to the match you broke the record."

"Fan girl behaviour that," She said laughing.

"Well, I did end up getting what I wanted in the long run, right?"

"Friends with benefits?"

"What?"

"I'm kidding,"

"Huh?"

"Shhh," She said looking at her book.

"Where'd you get that?" I asked.

"The store," She said not looking up.

I stayed silent just occasionally looking over at her. She was so pretty with her short red hair, her brown hat and her hazel eyes lit up under her sunglasses.

"Stop staring," She giggled still not looking up.

"I wasn't staring," I said looking out towards the sea.

"I'm gonna take a nap," She said taking a swig of her water before lying down.

"You're lame," I say, still staring at the sea.

"Says you,"

"Hey, I have plans later,"

She looked at me while taking off her hat and sunglasses, "Can't wait," She says before laying down.