Chapter 32

England vs USA - 2nd half

Madison's POV

USA came back and scored 1, making the game 3-2 in the 51st minute.

I looked up at the screen and noticed I was the focus of it currently. I saw how bad my bruises actually looked.

I unintentionally cringed making a face causing the crowd to laugh. Daly took the kick-off.

Stanway took a shot but was saved as well as Dlay's shot. And Ella got caught offside a couple of times.

A US player completely wiped out Lotte Wubben-Moy but the play continued. Everyone paused a bit waiting for the could to be called so I sprinted back as fast as I could trying to help cover. A girl played in a ball as a player took Mary out while someone else scored.

England 3, USA 3.

The red blew her whistle called a no-goal and gave the girl who fouled Mary a red. It's still 3-2

They were now 2 players down.

We all checked on Mary and Lotte but Lotte couldn't continue so they subbed her off for Lauren Hemp. We were going attacking.

"We got this girls. I believe in us. Let's go,"

"Let's do it," Ella repeated.

I ran back to my spot on the pitch as Mary set up to restart.

Nothing happened for the next 10 minutes, but in the 69th minute, Georgia scored.

I crossed the ball into the box, where Georgia ran onto it and headed it in.

England 4, US 2

I ran to Georgia and we did our handshake celebration.

"Goal! #7 Georgia Stanway! 69th minute. Assisted by Madison Lewis!"

Daly and I pressed high, forcing their defence to make a mistake.

Daly was able to deflect the ball to me as I ran past the defender trying to mark me. I saw Alessia was wide open to my left. She shot and scored. 

She ran to me and hugged me tight.

"Madison you're the hero again," Less said smiling.

"How?" I asked.

"You bagged yourself a goal and a few assists."

"That's not true. It's a team effort.

"You're the next big thing. Stop being so bubble,"

------

The final whistle blew and everyone ran onto the pitch. I ran straight to Daly and hugged her. Ella ran over from the bench and joined the hug shortly followed by Georgia. It turned into a big group hug by the end with everyone tapping each other's heads.

"Your champions ... the England National team!!" The announcer said.

The interviewer pulled me and Rachel over for an interview

"Madison Lewis has shown up big this tournament. She's got a heart of gold. The only thing more golden than her hair is her heart," Daly answered.

"What do you think you did well and what do you think you could improve on,"

I didn't hear the answer as I completely zoned out. As soon as the interviewer finished I ran straight over to Hannah in the stands.

I asked the security guard permission before lifting her out of the stands and out onto the pitch.

"You are the best player ever!" She squealed.

"I'm far from it. But you're gonna be the best one day," I said smiling at her shirt. She was wearing the #21 kit with the word Auntie written in place of my name.

"I love your top!" I said.

"Mommy made it special just for you,"

"Awww," I smiled. "Hey guys! I brought Hannah!"

"Hannah!" Ella yelled as her and Lucy came running over.

"Madison! Madison Lewis! Can I interview you?" An interviewer asked coming up to me.

"Yeah of course," I said noticing the stand being brought onto the pitch.

"Who's this little kid?" the lady asked.

"I'm Hannah," She said into the microphone as Ella laughed behind us.

"This is my niece Hannah. She's my biggest fan," I said before turning to Ella. "Can you take her please?"

"Madison, you have been voted player of the tournament! How does that feel?"

"Wait really? Well, that makes me feel so ... honoured. I feel really grateful to be considered that big of a player for my team."

"Well, you certainly deserve it. And this must feel so rewarding to you after what happened the other day. I think you've made the whole world proud. And you show so much resilience. Playing 90 minutes and never stopping,"

"Thank you so much,"

"How does it feel to be a hometown hero?"

"It feels good. This has been my dream since I was a kid. From the time my grandma brought me to the playing fields to now, I only love the game more with each day,"

"There was a player on the field who mentioned something about your assault after you fouled her. How did that make you feel?" she asked.

Taking a deep breath I answered, "I don't think she meant it to hurt me, I think it was a heat of the moment thing. I'm sorry for fouling her and causing it."

"Well, I don't think you should have to apologise for anything. But thank you, Madison and good luck with everything,"

"Thank you!"

I walked back over to the girls where we all lined up to get our medals. I ran Hannah back to Charlotte and joined the end of the line.