Chapter 23

Gameday

Madison's POV

82nd minute

They just scored.

I was enjoying that 4 goal lead.

"I got you. Don't stress," I said to Millie Bright as I walked back to position.

Ellen passed back to Keira at kick-off who passed the ball to me as I was wide open. I just ran with the ball upfield. I still have 2 defenders to beat.

I took 1 touch around their centre back and then took a touch around the goalie and shot. Their goalie slide-tackled me but it was too late, I had scored.

I finally completed my hattrick.

Right, head, left.

I didn't even have enough time to get back onto my feet before Ella's body collided with me. Quickly followed by the rest of the team coming to hug me.

Georgia and I did our handshake which has somehow become a tradition at this point when either of us score. We've been doing it for what seems like ages when we were on camp together for the U20s.

"I'm so proud of you," Ella whispered in my ear as she was still hugging me.

"Thank Ella,"

She smiled at me so I returned it before I noticed the ref giving the other team's goalkeeper a yellow.

"Ref, you don't need to do that. It was an accident. She was just trying to protect her goal. That's her job," I said walking over to them both.

"It was still a dangerous tackle though," He replied.

"Well I'm not hurt, she didn't do it on purpose. Cut her some slack she's just conceded a goal,"

"A yellow is a yellow,"

"Sorry," I said to the keeper before running back to the circle.

"You too good for the world," Ellen Ehite said to me as we lined up.

As we lined up, Sarina made 3 subs. Jill Scott is coming on for Georgia Stanway, Beth Mead for Ellen White and Rachel Daly for me.

"What a game!" She said as I ran off towards her giving her a hug.

The whole stadium including our whole bench cheered for me as I came off and put on my bib before sitting next to Georgia.

"Dude you amazing!" Georgia said.

"Thank Geo,"

"No, I mean it. You're something else, Madison,"

That's all I've been hearing this whole camp. I know they mean it in a nice way but it is still frustrating that they don't give themselves credit and all the things they do for me to be able to score.

-----

Press Conference

Madison's POV

"Madison, you are the youngest player to score a hattrick for the lionesses. Are you aware of that?"

"No, I am not. But that's pretty cool," I reply smiling to myself.

"What are your thoughts on the game tonight?"

"Personally, I think it was good how we played. I don't think there is much I would change about how anyone on this team played tonight,"

"I think the big question is how do you do it? You seem to just do everything so effortlessly. You don't look tired and keep up the same amount of energy throughout the whole game. How do you do it?"

"It's not really a 'how' more of a 'what?' What drives me to play like this? What is the thing that is gonna push me further? Well, the answer is firstly mentality. If I don't play well for my team then I am also not playing well for myself. I let the team down, then I let me down. And I don't like disappointing others. But another big this is my family and the thought that there could be other little kids out there looking up to me just like how I looked up to many of the others above me. And I know I have at least one of them, my Neice Hannah back home. I have a whole family there that sits and watches all of my games, and they are my biggest fans. And I don't want to disappoint then either."

"Thank you, Madison. Good luck in your next game,"

"Thank you! Have a good night everyone!"

A SHORTER ONE TODAY AS I JUST WANTED TO BUILD THE STORY ABIT.