Every Rosary Has Its Thorns

January 28, Hell's Kitchen, New York

The late winter chill pierced through your coat. You grabbed the groceries out of the trunk and made your way up the stairs into your apartment.

"Hey." You shut the door behind you, setting the bags on the counter.

"Hey." Matt got up from the couch and walked over to you. "You were gone for a while."

"I know. Traffic was hell."

He sighed and sat at the counter. "Can we talk?"

"Yeah." You sat next to him in the barstool. "What's up?"

"I know the past month has been hard on you, but I feel like there's something you're not telling me."

"What would I not be telling you?" You chuckled and stood up to unpack the groceries.

"You tell me."

"Matt." You looked at him in disbelief. "You seriously think that I'm not telling you something?"

"I know you're not telling me something."

You scoffed and shook your head. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You're lying, Tess. I can hear your heartbeat."

"God! Do you know how weird it is to be listening to my heart?"

"I wouldn't have to if you would just tell me the truth! I know you're out at the crack of dawn and I know you try to hide it!" He grabbed your hands. "Honey, whatever it is, we can work it out. Just talk to me."

You pulled away and walked to the bedroom. "I'm gonna get some rest before patrol." You shut the door behind you.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

You had gotten so used to patrolling with Matt, that it was boring now without him. It was your idea to go your separate ways for the night so that you could have your space. It was nearing 2 A.M. when you got back to the apartment. Matt usually came home at the same time, but now he was nowhere to be found.

"Matt?" You called, getting no response. You figured he was just busy and would be back soon. That was until you got a call from Frank about half an hour later.

"Hello?"

"Tessa, you need to get to the hospital."

"What?" You sat up in bed and wiped the sleep out of your eyes.

"Matt got banged up real bad."

"Where are you?" You stood up and began to get dressed.

"Metro General. Ask for Claire Temple. She's a nurse."

"I'm on my way."

Your adrenaline was through the roof when you parked the car in front of the hospital. The bright lights and white floors blinded you as you ran to the front desk.

"I need to see Claire Temple."

"Are you a patient?"

"My boyfriend is."

"If he's your boyfriend, we're only allowed to let family in the rooms at this hour. I'm sorry."

"He is my family."

"I understand. But unless you're married-"

"Just tell me what room Matthew Murdock is in!"

"You're looking for Matt?" A dark haired woman asked you.