Leave a message.

Summary: You have been there since the beginning. Dragged into the Upside Down with Barb Holland, you survived – she didn't. Scars riddle your body, evidence of the battles you have thought alongside everyone.

Always there for them, but never there for you.

You thought you were friends, so what happened? Your calls were ignored, and invitations to hang out only seemed to come from the group's younger members – when they saw you. How did you become so easily forgotten? Invisible? Or did the group discover your secret?

A run-in with Dustin motivates them to call the group during their weekly 'movie night'. All you know is that you've had enough. And it's time they took notice of you.

Warnings: Angst. The reader is described as female, having scars on her body and is short (5ft). Use of Y/n. Depression, swearing, abandonment, ghosting, gaslighting. Mentions of torture. Readers may come off as mean towards older members during the phone call. Implied drug use (weed). Demogorgon, Demodogs, Mind Flayer, Demobats and Venca mentioned. Upside Down. Barb, Billy, and Chrissy's deaths are mentioned.

Word count: 2500

Six months have passed since spring break 86'. Venca had succeeded, and Hawkins was in the midst of recovering from the earthquakes that rocked the small community town. Your apartment was cold as you sat on the floor, back against the wall, replaying your conversation with Dustin that afternoon. You were about to cash out your register at Melvalds when he dumped a pile of snacks and drinks for you to scan. Dustin asked how you were and if you would finally attend the group's weekly movie night. You did your best to hide your confusion.

Weekly movie night? When did that start happening?

Dustin continued to ramble on about how the older ones kept telling everyone they had talked to you, but you replied that you were too busy with your volunteering work or were too sick or exhausted to join in.

"You're not avoiding us on purpose, are you?" He laughs, asking. "Is it because of what happened at the lake the other week, right? They all said it was an accident. We didn't realise, honestly".

The lake incident. You couldn't remember when you last hung out with all your friends; it must have been at least a month, maybe six weeks when Max had called begging you to come along. She and El missed you.

'You're always working; it's about time you took a break. Come on, it'll be fun. Like the old days!" She pleaded over the phone. You could never say no to Max. You never said no to anyone when they asked you for a favour.

It was awkward when the group came to collect you from your home. They greeted you with hugs and words, saying they missed you and that you should have called them if you were unwell. You hadn't been unwell. Dustin, Mike Will, and Lucas joined Eddie's van to talk DnD boring Steve. In the Surfer Boy van, Jonathan sat in front, Argle driving. You, Nancy, Robin, El, and Max sat and talked in the back.

The day was terrific, with many games and laughs, mostly with the younger ones. You made delicious food to share with everyone—Mike, Lucas, and Argle said they missed your cakes. El was saddened to see that you had reverted to wearing ¾ tights and a sleeved shirt over your swimmers instead of the t-shirt and shorts you started wearing after she asked you to stop hiding your scars.

It was late in the afternoon when Steve decided it was time to pack up and go, offering pizza and movies at his place. You let Robin know you were heading to the toilets, asking if she could take your stuff back to the van. She waved you off as you made your way quickly to the public bathrooms. You didn't think you had been gone that long. 5 minutes at the most. Returning to find your picnic area empty – both vans were gone.