Chapter 12 - If being a grim reaper was all it took, then so be it!

Normal text
Thinking
Onomatopoeia

Rayne's POV
The next morning.

My groggy eyes squinted open as rays of sunlight diffused into the room. Warm air brushed against my skin. Surprisingly, I could still detect peachy traces even through all the repulsive odour of day-old blood. The pudgy onigiri was gone again. I stared longingly at my grimy hands caked in centipede's mucus. They looked... startlingly empty. Weird... I felt a dull prick in my heart.

Ahri...

The crummy bedroom felt awfully stifling. As if all four walls were gradually closing in.

"I'll meet up with you in the dungeon."

Deep breaths. I clenched my clammy fists and lightly slapped my cheeks.

Stop moping, Rayne!

I'll be seeing her later anyway. So no need to be so disturbingly clingy. Don't annoy others.

I threw aside the musty blanket and got up to bathe. Donning myself in flimsy leather armour, I checked my inventory once again. Make sure all the essentials are in place before heading out. The moment I stepped foot in the cafeteria, oppressive glares lasered towards me. No doubt full of hostility after yesterday's 'robbery'. Why hadn't she died in her sleep yet, they must be complaining.

[Bloodlust is detected.]

No need to look and I already knew who the system's warning me about. It's always that piece of trash. You know, I really think Will's the one nemesis I would never reconcile with. Like oil and water, we just don't gel. Not now, not ever.

I pursed my lips and ignored the black as coal faces. I won't let assholes get to me. In fact, I should just stay away from humans. All the drama always seemed to originate from them. And I'm definitely not in the mood to deal with their never-ending bullshit. Especially not today. Instead of confronting a bunch of thick-headed donkeys, I should focus on Ahri's mission. Keeping my foxy friend happy and moisturised takes precedence over arguing with those shameless bigots.

While stuffing myself full with bacon and eggs, the field instructor's voice boomed, "Listen up, heroes!"

Pointed gazes finally left me. Unlike his usual attire, that man's covered in chain mail from head to toe. Even a haughty bastard like him felt iffy about today's hazardous adventure (more like suicide mission). Known as the devil's sacrament, the illusory maze filled with unspeakable perils has stood against the test of time. It just wouldn't collapse. Had to keep pooping out unsightly creatures to terrorise nearby villages above ground.

"Today's itinerary is deadlier than normal. So be on high alert."

As he parroted old news, the robed mages went around distributing small bottles.

"The labyrinth is infested with Brigas and Razans. But the danger lies in the carcinogenic air. These awakening pills can ward off hallucinations for a max of 5 minutes. You're each given 30 pills. So please ration accordingly."

While the bright-eyed nimrods earnestly listened to their owner yap like obedient puppies, I was the only one who bothered unscrewing the lid to check. I sniffed lightly. Next to Ahri's medicine which has a strong earthy scent, the quality of these pills paled in comparison. They should be measly low-grade ones. Fucking cheap as always.

I tossed the bottle into some random corner of my inventory. Best not to use such inferior consumables. Who's to say that quack's telling the truth? For all I know, their effective duration might not even last 5 minutes.