·̩̩̥͙**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚ 7. ɮɛֆȶ աօʀֆȶ ʍɨֆȶǟӄɛ ˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*·̩̩̥͙

day 7: growing old together (I am bullshitting on gumshoe's part ive only played through 2-1)

fou times people reflected on their relationship and it was a big deal, and one time it wasn't. 

I.

Maya Fey was not a gambling woman, but she would bet her family's entire heritage on the guess that Miles Edgeworth and Phoenix Wright had some unresolved issues. Hell, look up 'sexual tension' in the dictionary, and you'd probably just find a transcript of one of their court cases!

Which made it all the more frustrating that no one would tell her what the hell had gone on between them.

Sometimes she just wanted to grab the nearest person (who was usually Nick, unfortunately) and shake them vigorously, then point them in the direction of Nick and Edgeworth and let their looks speak for themselves.

(Seriously, Edgeworth looked at Nick like he was drowning and Nick was the only thing that could save him. It was weird, especially when they were in the middle of court and she was the only one that noticed.)

There were a lot of things she thought that she was the only one that noticed, like how the lines in Edgeworth's brow would soften whenever he was around Nick, he would only smile around Nick (she'd asked Gumshoe), and - also from Gumshoe - he was constantly muttering Nick's (last) name when he thought no one was around.

This was made weirder by the fact that he "tried" (heavy air quotes here) to act like he hated Nick. Even weirder was the fact that he seemed to buy it. Like, Nick. This man blushing while telling you that you give him "unnecessary feelings" is not a symptom of hate.

She wasn't sure how she felt about Mr. Miles Edgeworth, to be honest. He was pretty cruel in court, but during the State v. Edgeworth trials, he'd seemed smaller. More broken. He'd been nice to her then, but she wondered what it had cost him.

So when he walked into the Wright and Co. offices after his trials, Maya was so surprised she almost dropped her limited edition Pink Princess cup.

She hurriedly set her cup down, and ran around the desk to greet him. "Uh, h-hi, Mr. Edgeworth! Do you need legal services?" She paused, and tilted her head to the side. "Again?"

He flushed slightly, and said, "Er, no, not this time. I'm here to give something to Wright. I've already given a similar one to Gumshoe, but I need to drop this off."

"Oh! He's 'out on the town' with Gumshoe and Larry and everyone celebrating your verdict. I wasn't allowed to come because I'm a minor. I can take it, though."

Maya noticed the way he looked off into the distance and his entire demeanor softened - complete with soft smile, this man was so far gone for Nick - the moment she mentioned the verdict. It was honestly kind of gross.

"Uh, Mr. Edgeworth?" she asked, interrupting his daydreaming, and snapping his eyes back to her. "I can take it, and give it to him once he's back! What is it, by the way?"

He took it out, and she saw that it was a letter. He was in the process of handing it to her when it fell open and she saw the words, "-dead, but I actually am off to Germany-" and he hurriedly snatched it back. He seemed flustered and she tried to grab for it but ended up bumping her cup, which fell over and spilled hot chocolate all over the desk.

She managed to grab a corner of the letter but he held onto it enough that she managed to tug it out of his hand and then drop it, right into the spreading puddle of hot chocolate.

They both froze, watching it sink into the chocolate goo and be rendered unreadable. After a few seconds, Edgeworth unfroze and grabbed for the letter, but it was too late. He only was able to pull out  a corner, which held the words "Dear Phoenix" and nothing more.