Broken promises

I tilt my head back and let myself sink into the mattress as Violet rakes her fingers through my hair.

"Your hair has gotten so much longer since conscription," She smiles.

"I should probably cut it, it'll end up getting me in trouble." I sigh.

"I could braid it if you want, long hair suits you." She offers.

"That would be nice," I reply.

Violet moves her hands to the top my head splitting my hair into two, moving the right half to the side she starts working on the left beginning the plaits at my hairline, tightly intertwining them to make sure they don't fall out during sparring.Once she reaches the end of my hair she ties it off with some leather strips from her nightstand then moves onto the other half of my hair. The feeling of her hands gently working with my hair makes the tension ease from my body and reminds me of my mother. At this point I'm fighting back the tears that begin to gather at the corners of my eyes,quickly I move my hands to wipe them away and gain composure.

"There, all done." She pats my back. I turn to the mirror and run my hands down the braids that end below my shoulders and smile, maybe I will let my hair grow out.

"It looks amazing, thank Vi." I turn back to her.

"Hey can I ask you something?" Rhiannon quips up from the desk chair, her legs stretched out.

"Of course." I turn my attention to her.

"What's up with you and Liam?" She smiles knowingly.

"I... I'm not sure." I admit. I want to act oblivious, but it is nice to talk to the girls about it.

"Oh come one, have you seen the way he looks at you?" Violet teases.

"And what about yesterday, when you two ran off?" Rhi adds.They both look at me eagerly awaiting an answer I'm not sure I have.

"I mean there's definitely something," I pause. "But I promised myself no distraction, and... I feel that if I start something I'll be breaking the promise that I made to myself." I frown.

"I get that, but if you really feel like this could make you happier than you should go for it." Rhiannon squeezes my leg in reassurance.

"Hey, at least the guy you like isn't your literal blood enemy." Violet laughs.I

shake my head letting out a huff of laughter. "True."

Violet stands up from the bed and stretches her arms above her head. "I'm going to head to the library since we have two hours before class with professor Emetterio, feel free to stay in here."

"Don't mind if I do," I say, settling into her bed,hugging her covers. "I'm going to take a nap."

"I'll be here," Rhiannon laughs. "Meet us down in the sparring gym?" She asks. Violet nods then leaves us in her room.

"Are you really going to sleep?" Rhi teases.

"Absolutely." I assure her.

The sound of Rhiannon flipping through her books and scribbling in her notebook quickly lulls me to sleep.

I'm awoken by Rhi shaking me lightly. "Get up sleepy head."

I groan in response and reluctantly get up. I Take a moment to stretch then make Violet's bed neatly. We make our way down to class, chatting about whatever topic pops into our heads. I step into the gym and breathe in the comforting smell of the rubber mats, unfortunately I'm only a spectator today. We make our way over to Violet who looks oddly nervous. I'm not surprised when I see Liam standing next to her chatting with Ridoc and sawyer.