How do you get rid of it?

"How do you get rid of it?" Draco asked as soon as he arrived at the muggle park where they agreed to meet. He had walked up to Fleur, who was sitting on a bench feeding some birds, and blurted out the question before saying hello. He needed an answer, damn it. Every single second that passed with the veela still there felt like a dangerous bomb waiting to go off inside of him. The woman raised an eyebrow.

"Get rid of what?" she replied with a confused expression.

"The veela," he said as if the answer was obvious. The woman suddenly looked horrified, bringing a hand up to her chest and looking at Draco as if he had grown a second head.

"It-it's not some illness that you can get rid of," she said, her eyes wide, "It's a creature, a being. You'd be killing someone. You'd be killing a part of yourself."

"So, there is a way, then?" he asked, frantically, his eyes a bit wild, "I want this monster out of me as soon as possible!"

Fleur suddenly got up from the bench, causing all the birds to fly away. She had a furious look on her face, which had gone a bit red.

"I hope you realize that I took time out of my busy life to help you heal, and that I did the same today, thinking you had a legitimate problem and that you needed me. Veelas have spent centuries in hiding, afraid to let out their wings or reveal their identities because it was so shameful to be a veela in the wizardly world. Other creatures are still suffering the same discrimination and my heart goes out to them. It's bad enough that humans don't understand us. I will not stand here and be insulted and offended by another veela. Good day, Draco Malfoy."

The witch was about to storm off when Draco's hand suddenly reached out and grabbed her wrist to stop her from leaving. She looked back at him, perhaps to demand he let go, but her anger seemed to melt off her face when she saw the devastated look on his face.

"I'm sorry," he choked out, still holding her wrist, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean any of that. I'm so grateful to you. You gave me my life back, but-but...he rejected me, Fleur."

With that, Draco burst into tears.

"Oh, mon cherie," the blonde woman said softly, taking Draco's hand in her own, and guiding him to sit on the bench beside her as she rubbed his back.

"I don't even know why I care," he continued, "I hate him. I hate him so much. I don't even want to be with him. I don't want to think about him. I don't want to see him ever again, but..."

"He's still your mate," Fleur finished for him, looking at the blonde with sympathetic eyes, "You still love him."

"I don't want to," Draco wailed, bringing one of his hands to his face to wipe away his tears and hide the embarrassing choking sounds he was making. He hated the veela so much. He hated everything about it. It was still making his life hell, still making him feel guilty about leaving Harry when he had every right to do that. The veela tortured and almost killed Draco. The blonde would never be able to sleep soundly again knowing it was still a part of him.

"I'm afraid it's not much of a choice," the woman said gently, still rubbing the blonde's back, "He's your soulmate. He's-"

"Being forced down my throat because I have veela blood!" Draco finished for her. She shook her head.

"No, darling. You're not in love with Harry because he's your mate. You love him because...well, because he's Harry. If he wasn't the one for you, then he never would've been your mate in the first place."

The blonde blinked at that. He didn't want to think about the possibility of it being true. Everytime he so much as thought of Harry, he started to panic and choke on the air around him. He couldn't love Harry, didn't want to love him. All Draco wanted was to forget the brunette. The first step to do that was getting rid of the veela permanently.

"Perhaps the reason you're feeling so horrible is because your wings haven't grown out yet?" Fleur offered. Draco gulped. He didn't want them to grow back at all. He didn't need them anymore.

"Either Way, I'm sure I won't feel this way anymore if this creature wasn't inside me. It-it's forcing me to love someone I hate. It-it almost killed me. I don't want it alive anymore. I can't ever rest again if it's still around. Help me. Please?" The blonde begged, looking her in the eye. Fleur signed, nodding slightly.

"Alright. I understand why you're reacting this way. There's no way to get rid of the veela, Draco. It's a part of you, but I can provide you with potions to keep it dormant. I suppose I shouldn't be so upset by your request. The other veelas were asking me to kill them after their treatment, both their human and veela side," she said with a sad smile.

Draco tilted his head in confusion.

"How come it worked for me, then?" he asked curiously. She looked away from him as she murmured, "Your mate loves you. Their mates didn't love them."

The veela was gone. There was no ridiculous chirping in his head. His heart didn't threaten to leap out of his chest whenever he thought of Harry. He didn't feel any foreign beings sharing his body. The monster was dormant, but Draco still couldn't rest. His mind kept replaying the last words he had said to Harry, Harry's devastated expression, the brunette's loving smile, their wonderful two weeks together before the veela started to torture Draco. Harry. Harry. Harry. The blonde couldn't stop thinking about him no matter how hard he tried.

Could Fleur have been right?

The blonde shook his head at himself. He couldn't think about that. He needed to move on; he'd leave his old life behind and start over. Him and Emmyl could remain at his parents' safe house in France for the time being, but they'd need a plan eventually. Draco didn't care about the Manor or anything else he had left behind. He had mostly just gone back for Emmyl and his wand, anyway. He had his savings, but they weren't what they used to be; the Wizengamot had stripped his father of all his assets before sentencing both his parents to the Kiss.

He still had the memory of the last time he saw his mother. She was crying, telling him to be strong, to try and live the life he was given. She was telling him that he was the best son in the world, that she loves him and will watch over him forever. Draco, in turn, had looked right through her and merely said "thank you, mother," in response to all her kind words. He had felt nothing for the woman, as if she was some stranger he had just met on the streets.

The memory brought tears to the blonde's eyes again. Draco wondered if he would ever be able to stop crying already. He had cried in the past few months more than he had all his life, and, yet, the tears were still coming. He had lost so much time, so many people. He was 21, friend-less, parent-less, homeless, and jobless. The last two were technically by choice, but it didn't feel like much of a choice to Draco. His job had been fine, but he couldn't do it if Harry was there. He didn't want to spend any more time in the manor, either, lest he gets reminded of the horrible moment when his wings burned off his back, his talons cut through his veins, and his mate walked out the door and left him for death.

"The potion isn't working is it?"

Emmyl's soft voice snapped Draco out of his thoughts. The blonde shook his head.

"It's working. I don't feel broken anymore, but...perhaps I shouldn't have blamed the veela for everything, or anything," the blonde choke, his voice cracking on the last word. He hated that Fleur was right. It didn't matter whether the veela qualities were dormant or not; he felt horrible, either way. It would've been so simple if the veela was to blame...

"Oh, Draco...What can I do?" Emmyl asked softly.

The blonde immediately sat up, grabbing a paper and pen from beside him and scribbling down the few words he was bursting to say out loud. He handed the folded paper to Emmyl after he finished. It wasn't enough, and it wasn't fair. He knew that...but was there really anything he could write on that paper that could be enough? No. He was trying. Harry would respond, then Draco would know.

"C-could you give this to Harry...and check on him, please? And-and not leave him until he's happy? I mean, really happy? And make sure he eats?"

The blonde sighed in relief when Emmyl nodded and vanished from the safehouse. Draco stared up at the ceiling. Even if the brunette thinks of the blonde as a lunatic for his contradicting behavior, it made Draco feel better knowing that Emmyl would at least try to cheer Harry up.