Chapter Eight

Penny pov:
The four of us used to sit at lunch together every day before this happened, and I'm glad to finally be able to join them again. As intimidating as it was, Gemma was happy to finally see me again.

"I'll be right back, there is one more phone call I need to make that I forgot about." Amy said as she got up from the table. She reached out her hand for me to climb onto.

"Actually, can I stay here? I haven't seen these two in a long time." I said. I surprised myself with my confidence and I think I surprised Amy, too.

"Are you sure?" Amy asked.

"Yes." I said.

"Okay." Amy said. Then she looked to Kamal and Gemma. "Be careful with her, she's very fragile." She then walked away, back to her office. I turned to face Kamal and Gemma.

"Wow, I can't believe how tiny you are now." Gemma said.

"I know." I said.

"It must be so hard, having to rely on Amy for everything." Kamal said.

"It is, and I feel bad. I feel like a burden to her." I said as I looked down at my feet. Kamal gently rubbed my arm.

"Amy doesn't see it as that. She loves you." Kamal reminded me.

"We love you too." Said Gemma. "Can I hold you?" She asked. I suddenly felt a little like I had the shakes. Gemma tends to be a bit clumsy.

"Are you okay, Penny? You don't have to do anything you aren't comfortable with." Kamal said.

"I'm okay." I said. I squeezed my eyes shut fearfully as Gemma reached out to me. Kamal saw this and used her own judgment to protect me.

"Maybe it's not such a good idea." Kamal said, putting her hand in front of me to block Gemma's hand.

"I-It's okay, Kamal." I hesitated. I didn't want to hurt Gemma's feelings. Kamal looked unsure, but moved her hand anyway to respect my choice.

"I promise, I'll be gentle." Gemma said as she reached out and gently wrapped her fingers around me to pick me up. I was a bit scared but she was as gentle as Amy. She got up from the table carefully and walked to the other side of the room. She placed me into her other cupped hand and held me with both hands. "You okay?" Gemma asked.

"I think so. You're doing great." I assured her with a thumbs up.

"Gemma!" Amy called out as she reentered the room. Gemma flinched, and in that reaction, I fell out of her hands and fell to the floor, landing on my back. Everyone gasped.

"Oh, god! I'm sorry!" Gemma exclaimed. Kamal and Amy came rushing to me, but the impact of the fall knocked me out. A few moments later, I started to wake up.

"Guys, don't crowd her, give her some space." Amy said.

"I'm really sorry. What can I do?" Gemma asked.

"You've done enough." Amy growled harshly.

"Her eyes are open. I'm sorry, Penny! Are you okay?" Gemma asked. I just looked at her and blinked, I couldn't process my thoughts.

"Oh, my god, I think she's really hurt." Kamal said in a worried tone. Amy gently picked me up off the floor and held me in her cupped hands.

"Penny, look at me, honey. Are you hurt?" Amy asked me. I finally caught my breath and was able to speak.

"My head hurts but I think I'm okay." I quietly said.

"Is she okay??" Gemma asked.

"Yeah, she's fine, no thanks to you!" Amy snapped at Gemma and stormed out of the room.