Chapter 5: Midnight Conversations

Weeks had turned into months since Y/n's arrival at Hogwarts, and the rhythm of school life had settled in.

Classes, Quidditch matches, and Slytherin house dynamics filled her days, while late-night wanderings became a refuge from the demands of student life.

One chilly evening, sleep eluded Y/n as she lay in bed, thoughts racing. Giving up on rest, she quietly slipped out of her dormitory and into the dimly lit corridors of Hogwarts. The torchlight cast dancing shadows on the stone walls as she wandered aimlessly, seeking solace in the quiet solitude.

Y/n made her way to the Astronomy Tower. It was late, the castle quiet and still, save for the occasional flutter of wings from the resident owls.

As she reached the top of the winding staircase, she found Mattheo leaning against the parapet, staring out at the starlit sky with a contemplative expression. Wisps of smoke curled lazily from the cigarette between his fingers, the faint scent lingering in the cool night air. He glanced up as she approached, a hint of surprise in his eyes before he adopted his usual smirk.

"Fancy meeting you here, Malfoy," he greeted, his tone laced with casual amusement.

Y/n rolled her eyes, a smirk playing on her lips.

"Likewise, Riddle. Couldn't sleep?"

Mattheo shrugged nonchalantly, taking a drag from his cigarette.

"Thought I'd enjoy the view. It's quiet up here."

Y/n glanced at the cigarette in Mattheo's hand, the faint scent of smoke lingering in the air.

"You know," she said gently, "those things can kill you."

Mattheo looked at the cigarette, his expression thoughtful. He took one last drag before stubbing it out against the stone floor.

"Yeah, I know," he admitted quietly. "Old habits die hard."

They stood in silence for a moment, the cool night air wrapping around them. Y/n leaned against the stone railing, stealing glances at Mattheo, whose usual air of confidence seemed softer under the moonlight.

"So," she began, breaking the silence, "what's with the smoking, Riddle?"

Mattheo raised an eyebrow, a flicker of surprise crossing his features. He considered her question for a moment before taking another drag and exhaling slowly.

He looked at her, his gaze guarded but contemplative.

"You know, Malfoy, for someone who claims not to care, you seem awfully interested."

Y/n smirked.

"Curiosity killed the cat, they say."

Mattheo chuckled softly, "Fair enough." His eyes returning to the stars."Helps clear the mind."

She arched an eyebrow, not quite buying his casual explanation.

"Clear the mind from what?"

Mattheo glanced at her, his gaze lingering for a moment before he looked away.