We Must Hurry

Raffin had never walked this far before. His legs were stiff, and the soles of his feet were prickly. But he stifled his complaints because Jacina showed no signs of fatigue. Her gait was still upright and light. If it were magic, Raffin would do anything to get magic that would make him strong enough to walk dozens of miles. Unfortunately, he couldn't. All he could do was keep his pride. But even that was hardly salvageable, because no matter how hard he held on, his steps were still sluggish. He could no longer keep up with Jacina and fell three feet behind.

"Are you tired?" Jacina asked in a flat tone. No mockery, no sympathy.

"No," Raffin replied. "Just conserving my energy."

Jacina gave a short laugh. "We're at the limit of the curse. Look at the sky." She pointed up.

As Raffin looked up, several stars twinkled back at him. There was a bold black line that split the sky in two. One side was pitch black, the other a lighter night black thanks to the moonlight.

Two hours passed, and the dawn line appeared on the eastern horizon. Raffin was now six feet behind Jacina, and the former Queen of Slorista showed no intention of resting or slowing her pace. Had he known they had to travel, Raffin would have brought a horse. It was harder to sneak out of the palace on horseback, but Raffin would find a way.

As the sun rose, Raffin paused. He stood facing the sun, spread his arms, closed his eyes, and took a deep breath. He missed the warmth of the sun and the coolness of the morning air.

A laugh mixed with sobs made him open his eyes and turn his head. Jacina stood facing the sun, tears streaming down her cheeks. Her smile radiated happiness. Raffin felt his longing for the morning like a grain of sand in the middle of the desert. Nothing compared to Jacina's two and a half centuries of separation from the giver of life. Her wet face glowed even more in the warm light of the sun. Raffin didn't know what to do, so he looked back at the eastern sky.

A few moments later, Jacina cleared her throat. When Raffin turned, her tears had dried. Without a word, she invited him to continue their journey.

Soon they reached a village, and Jacina's mood brightened. She greeted almost everyone who passed them, and many villagers were stunned to see her, both men and women. Everyone she greeted responded in a much friendlier manner. Raffin must have been dreaming. He must have passed out from exhaustion halfway through their journey. Now, in his dream, he saw the dark wizard queen who had slaughtered Stratham 250 years ago, mingling with the villagers.

Raffin watched her from behind, still wondering what kind of dream this was. He followed her into the first tavern they came to. They sat in the middle of the room.

"Good morning," a plump woman in an apron greeted them. "Oh, you look beautiful, dear," she complimented, touching Jacina's shoulder.

"Thank you, Ma'am," Jacina replied with a broad smile. "So are you."

The woman chuckled and waved her hand. "I know you're just being polite, but thank you." She turned to Raffin. "You're very lucky, son, to have such a beautiful wife."

"Oh! She's not—" Raffin stammered.

"I'm starving, Ma'am," Jacina interrupted. "We've just come a long way. Can you serve us your menu this morning?"

"I didn't see your carriage," the woman said, looking out the door. "Did you walk? What kind of noble walks?"

"Walking is much healthier and more economical," Jacina replied. "Besides, my husband is an excellent swordsman. He can handle anyone who dares to disturb us."

Raffin gaped at Jacina's conversation with the woman, whom Raffin noticed was the owner of the tavern.

"You are unusual nobles," the woman commented. "Well, wait a moment. I'll bring you some mushroom soup and bread. Would you like some ale or wine? Ah, why do I ask? Wine, of course."