Chapter 12 - First Mission

He saw Melissa leaned down over the dead body of his family member. He knew it was coming and yet, it was still hard to process. He didn't think this could ever happen. "Mellisa..."

"So which section will you join?" The "King"stood there impatiently.

I really could kill him. Just a little fire...

You shrug, "Throw me on the exploration and defensive sections."

Sebastian immediately follows, "I'll do the same."

Jake decides, "I'll be on those two as well."

Elijah shrugs, not even trying to act like he cares about your lives. "Very well."

***

"So what should we do now?" Jake asks you, uncertain of how the guard system works still.

"Now, we go to each of the sections and pick something we want to do. We are required to do at least two activities a month. It could be something like guarding the walls or mounting an excursion. It could be raiding towns that are taken over by vampires, or even something like defending against the "terrorists" that are really just Mark, Caitlyn, Alex, and Peyton. The real question is what do you WANT to do?" You shrug, explaining how the missions work.

Jake shrugs and Sebastian suggests, "Why don't we go look at the mission board. There's a mission board for each section."

The three of you look at the defensive board and see nothing exciting. There is just things like protecting King Elijah's mansion or guarding the walls around the city.

There is also a list of who are on what missions right now. You sees Reis's name written down on a mission for hunting vampires inside the city walls.

You then walk over to the exploration board and there are a few missions that catch your eye. There is one mission that is a simple raid on a bandit camp that is said to be hiding in an abandoned mine.

There's also one that has the duration written down for undecided. It's an excursion into vampire territory. The group is being led by the vice section leader even. The description simply says "travel into vampire territory and fight".

"I say we do this one. The military is even providing horses for those who don't have them," you point at the vampire one and Sebastian nods.

Jake looks at it and says, "Are you sure? So many things can go wrong out there. Especially when someone else is leading us."

Sebastian nods, "We don't know any of them, and we sure can't trust them."

"Cmon, it'll be fun. I get to go murder some vampires, and you guys can focus on other things like keeping people safe. This war is never going to end if everyone is too afraid to fight. I'm gonna go and do something about it, and maybe I'll learn a thing or two," you grin, knowing that you might learn something from watching and fighting vampires. There's only so much you can learn from books, especially books written by humans about vampires.

Jake snorts, "What are you going to eat while we are running around in vampire country? Better yet, what are you going to eat while we're traveling?"

"First of all, it's vampire country. I could snag any human and they probably wouldn't bother fighting back. Second of all, since we are riding with trained fighters, it won't take nearly as long to travel there. Maybe a few days on horseback. Third of all, I don't actually need that much blood. It won't kill me to not have blood for a few days." That was only a partial lie. It wouldn't kill you to not have blood for a few days, but it would be painful and make it really hard to not rip someone's throat out when they inevitably piss you off.