Chapter 8: Chamomile

When Levi talks about the rooibos tea in this chapter, it's due to his ignorance. It is in no way meant to be taken as the author's opinion on said tea. I have nothing against any kind of tea, their origin, or the people who enjoy them.

<<<>>>

“Give it a taste” you say to Levi after putting two teacups on the table for you and him. It's been several weeks since you bought those fruits and flowers for tea. This is the first time you've made one since it took time to dry the ingredients considering there's no electric oven, much less, a dehydrator here. 

He looks in the cup containing clear red fluid with a slice of lemon on the surface. He grimaced. “That's not tea, that's blood” he states bluntly. Oh boy. You had prepared a rooibos tea which is known for its signature red color. 

“That's not blood, silly. That's just the color of the plant it's made from” you shake your head. “Just try it” you coo. You take a sip savoring the sweet and nutty taste as it settles on your tongue. You let out a contented sigh. 

You notice Levi watching you while you drink, probably waiting to see if you'll get poisoned to death or not. He then mimicked your action and took a sip on his tea. His eyes widened not long after “it tastes…good?” He says incredulously. 

“Mhm” you hum, smirking smugly. “Terrace?” you ask, tilting your head towards the direction of the door to the balcony. Before he could answer, you both looked at the front door opening. 

“Hey,” Akira greets as he steps in, keeping a hand on the doorknob. “just came to borrow tongs, I ruined the one downstairs,” he explained. 

“Sure, it's in that cupboard” you say, pointing to a drawer housing rarely used ladles, spatulas and the like. Akira then proceeds to walk to your kitchen. 

Throughout the past several weeks, you've come to realize that your relationship with Akira is nothing more than best friends, although you think he's sometimes overprotective of you. He's also a huge flirt, which explains his first words to you the first time you met him. He kind of also has a flair for the dramatic; the first time you called him ‘Akira’, he asked if you were mad at him because you've never called him by that name since you started calling him ‘K’ which, according to his story, (yeah, you've just been telling everyone you're an airhead who easily forgets things every time someone accuses you of not remembering something) happened when you were 9 and he was 10. 

He walked to the table, after getting the tongs from the drawer. He looks at yours and Levi's teacups and his brows furrowed. “Why's your tea red and why is there a piece of lemon in it?” he asks curiously. 

“it's called rooibos tea, but most people call it ‘red tea'” you inform. His brows were still furrowed. 

“‘People’? What ‘people'? It's the first time I've seen a tea like that and I work in a coffee shop” he stated accusingly. Oh shit. Lie! Lie! Lie!

“It's from my great-great-great-great-great aunt's ‘tea book’. It contained a lot of information on different kinds of tea but my mom just never made them because of the time it takes them to prepare” you spoke rapidly, hoping he would be too confused to ask further questions. 

“Wait,” he exclaimed. Oh no. Is this it? Is your lie breaking apart? “Is this one of those dried fruit tea thing you were talking about?” He asks excitedly and you see that familiar glint in his eyes. You nod. “Didn't I tell you since you started drying those fruits and flowers that I should be the first to taste them once you're done making them?” He asked, shaking his head, feigning disappointment. Your eyes briefly flick to Levi and you smile at him before they dart back to Akira.