Chapter 8

part 8

The next morning, Miranda awoke alone in bed. She blinked, the sun streaming through the window casting a bright glow over the bedroom. Frowning, she sat up and looked around, but there was no sign of Ben.

"That's odd," she muttered to herself, her brow furrowed in confusion. She stretched, her gaze landing on the clock beside the bed. It was still fairly early,.

Worried, she climbed out of bed, a knot forming in her stomach.

Miranda left the bedroom and followed the delicious smell of breakfast downstairs. As she reached the bottom step, the sultry sounds of Luther Vandross' "Here and Now" filled the room, the mellow tones of the song drifting through the air.

She stepped into the kitchen, and there was Ben, standing over the stove in nothing but his pajama pants. He was flipping pancakes, the smell of maple syrup and bacon permeating the room.

Miranda stopped in her tracks, her eyes widening in surprise.

Ben must have sensed Miranda's presence, for he turned around just as she stepped into the kitchen.

"Good morning, beautiful," he said, his smile warm and genuine. His pale skin glowed in the morning light, the faintest hint of muscle definition showing on his chest and stomach.

Miranda flushed, a grin spreading across her face. "Good morning," she replied, her voice soft and warm. "What's all this? Pancakes and Luther Vandross?"

Ben's smile grew wider, a twinkle in his eye as he gestured around the kitchen. "Well, I woke up this morning and realized I'm in love with the most incredible woman I've ever met," he said, his voice full of genuine affection. "I thought that deserved a little celebration."

Miranda felt her heart skip a beat, her cheeks growing pink as she fought to maintain her composure. "That's...very sweet of you," she said, her voice soft and warm. "But I thought you didn't believe in breakfast."

Ben's grin grew wider, his eyes sparkling with warmth and amusement. "Not just any breakfast, no," he said, his voice full of mischief. "But breakfast made with love and joy? That's something I can get behind."

He stepped away from the stove, setting the spatula down on the counter. "In fact, I think you should join me," he said, gesturing towards a place at the table. "I made enough for two."

Miranda felt her heart racing, her smile growing wider.

Miranda couldn't resist teasing him, her playful tone making Ben laugh. "Shocking," she said, her eyes full of mischief. "Why would you have made one for yourself knowing I slept here?"

Ben threw his head back and laughed, his eyes bright with amusement. "Alright, you got me," he said, still laughing. "I may have had you in mind when I made this."

Miranda rolled her eyes, but her smile never faltered. "You're impossible," she said, her voice still teasing.

The two of them shared a playful, affectionate moment, their laughter echoing through the kitchen. After a moment, the sound died down and they both took seats at the table, the food still warm and inviting.

Ben reached for the syrup and poured it generously over his pancakes. "So, what do you think?" he asked, his eyes glinting with mischief. "Are you ready to sample the fruits of my labor?"

Miranda giggled, her cheeks still pink with delight. "I don't know," she said, her voice still playful.

Ben raised an eyebrow, his grin growing wider. "What's that supposed to mean?" he asked, his voice full of feigned indignation. "Are you saying my cooking isn't good enough for you?"