1 - LA to Hawaii

"Honey! I'm home!" I called out walking in the door to my apartment and I heard my roommate laugh from the living room.

"Welcome home dear!" She said and we laughed.

Mary McGarrett and I had been friends and roommates since freshman year of college when we were put in a dorm together. Sophomore year started with us getting our own apartment. Now here we are 6 years later, 2 years out of college and still living together.

"Who are you talking to?" I heard a guy's voice say. He sounded like he was on the phone and when I walked into the living room I saw Mary on a FaceTime call. She turned her phone and I saw her older brother, whom I had met a few times when he came to visit.

"Hey Steve, who else would she be talking to?!" I asked and he smiled. I shook my head and then looked at Mary.

"Hey what do you want for dinner?" I asked.

"Already in the oven. I knew you worked all day." Mary said and I laughed.

"We really do sound like an old married couple. I'm going to change and get out of this get up." I said motioning down to the clothes I wore while working at the hotel.

"Nice seeing you, Cali." Steve said and I rolled my eyes with a smile.

"You too Steve." I said and walked into my room and shut the door. I knew I needed to change and get ready for dinner. I had to have a conversation with Mary over dinner.

I took a quick shower and changed into some sweatpants and t-shirt just to be comfortable. Once I had finished drying my hair, I walked into the living room to see Mary pulling the dinner from the oven and I smiled seeing baked ziti.

"Smells amazing!" I said as I walked and got us both something to drink and we walked to our small dining room table.

"So, you want to tell me what you are trying to find the words for in your head or should I guess?" Mary asked after a few minutes. I huffed a laugh and looked at Mary.

"Can you not read me like an open book?" I asked and she smiled.

"So, what's up?" Mary asked.

"Well, I got called into the office today to talk to the boss. He informed me he wants to transfer me. The hotel on Oahu needs a new concierge since they just fired theirs and they actually called our hotel. They asked for me personally. They want me to move and start in 2 weeks." I said. Mary just sat there and was in shock. I knew she would be, and I knew this was sudden.

"So, moving to Hawaii...leaving me...leaving what we have...what about us?! What about the children?!" Mary said being over dramatic, pretending to cry. We both burst out laughing.

"Seriously?!" I said clutching my stomach as we continued to laugh.

"I'm so happy for you Cali. This is amazing! I mean they called and ask for you!" She said getting up, coming around the table and hugging me then sitting back down.

"Yeah, but I'm leaving you in a bind here." I said and she shook her head.

"Hey, I will be fine. If anything, I'll call my brother and make him help me." Mary said and I laughed shaking my head. "Where will you be staying when you get there?" She asked and I sighed.

"Well, they offered me a hotel suite until I can find a place." I said and she half nodded.

"So, you leave and get to go to an amazing location. I'm so jealous." Mary said.

"You could come with me? Get a place together there..." I said and the look on her face didn't slip past me. The look of maybe panic or hurt didn't go unnoticed.

"Oahu really isn't the place for me." She said.

"But it is for your brother?" I asked and she shrugged.

"Works for Steve. I like LA better." Mary said.

"Well, I'll miss you so much." I said and she sighed and shook her head.

"Don't worry, we will talk all the time. I mean you see how much I talk to Steve." She said and I nodded. "Actually, it's good Steve is there you'll know someone." Mary said and I just shook my head as I ate a fork full of food.

"I'm not going to bug your brother because I'm moving to the island he lives on." I stated.

"He will be willing to help you!" Mary said and I shook my head.

"Mary, it's fine. I don't need Steve okay. I won't bug him, he is always busy." I said and Mary groaned.

"Fine..."

"I mean it Mary, don't tell Steve." I said and she groaned.

"I heard you the first time."

"Right but did you listen?" I asked.

"Yes! I won't tell Steve."

"Good, thank you." I said and we went back to eating.

My 2 weeks were up, and I was getting the last of my 3 suitcases in the cab

"Okay, I think that's it..."

Tears filled both our eyes.

"I love you, be safe." Mary said as we hugged.

"I will, same to you. Love you girl." I said and we broke apart. I looked at the time.

"I better go. Don't want to miss my flight." I said. I opened the door to the cab. "And you didn't call Steve, right?" I asked.

"No, I didn't call Steve."

"Okay, thank you." I gave a small smile.

"You should contact him though. Let him know you're on the island. He would want to know." Mary said and I just rolled my eyes with a nod.

"I'll think about it. I'll call you when I get in." I said getting in the cab. I waved as we pulled away from the curb and sighed.

There was no way I would call Steve McGarrett, not that he was a bad guy but I didn't need my little girl crush to come rushing back.

I started fidgeting with the necklace around my neck. A double star pendant from my dad. He gave it to me on my 10th birthday then passed away a few weeks, brain aneurysm as he slept. I sighed.

This was a good move, a good change...right?