4 - New Family

I rushed down the stairs a few days later tucking in my Hawaiian shirt to my black pencil skirt. I tossed my blazer over the back of a chair.

I walked into the kitchen to see Steve pouring coffee in a to-go mug. He handed it to me and smiled.

"You nervous?" Steve asked.

"To go to work and do a job I've been doing for years? Nope. Now I just get to do it near a beach." I said and he huffed a laugh.

"Near a beach in high heels, please don't kill yourself." Steve said and I smiled.

"Aww Steve are you worried about me?" I asked in a cute voice.

"Aren't you going to be late?" Steve changed the subject and I looked at the time.

"Shit!" I grumbled and rushed towards the living room, grabbed my blazer, my keys and headed out the door.

"Hey!" Steve yelled rushing out after me.

"Yeah?" I asked and Steve walked up to me.

"Just...be safe and careful, okay?" Steve said and I sighed opening my car door.

"Steve, I will be at a hotel. I will be taking care of VIP guests or things for families. I will be fine and be home tonight." I said and Steve half nodded. I got in the car, and he shut the door for me.

I started the car and went to pull out of the driveway, but I took one final look back at Steve, gave a small smile and then left.

I left the hotel around lunch just wanting to take a small break away from it all

I left the hotel around lunch just wanting to take a small break away from it all. The first day was pretty brutal. The person I took the job from left a mess that I was having to clean up.

As I walked, I heard people talking about this food truck about a block away. I figured I could check it out. I walked to the food truck and saw it was a shrimp truck which was a weakness of mine.

"Welcome to Kamekona's!" The man standing in the food truck said as I approached. I smiled at him.

"What's good here?" I asked with a smile.

"Aw Sista let me hook you up!" He said in a thick Hawaiian accent, and I smiled. I watched him get me a plate made and I waited for the price.

"How much do I owe you?" I asked.

"Special for the first time, pretty lady customers...no charge." He winked at me, and I laughed.

"Thanks." I said taking the tray but laying some money on the counter anyway.

I sat down and pulled out my cellphone. I dialed a number.

"Hey!" I heard his voice say and I got excited.

"Hey Uncle Stan." I said.

"Cali! Oh, sweetie it's good to hear your voice since I knew you left." He said and I sighed.