6 - Issues in Paradise

I woke up early the next morning falling out of my bed. I groaned and looked to see Grace sprawled out in the middle of my bed. I stood up and looked at Grace. I shook my head with a smile and grabbed my phone from the nightstand. I saw I had a text from Steve.

Steve: Got called out on a case, Danny and I both. Danny said you are more than welcome to take Grace to Rachel's, her mom, or if you want to hang out Rachel is okay with that too. Maybe just call Rachel and let her know, her number is on the fridge on the list of contacts.

I sighed after reading this text and I headed downstairs to get Rachel's number. I knew it was early, but I figured I would call and even leave this lady a voicemail if she didn't answer.

I heard the line ring about 3 times and then a woman answered with a British accent.

"Hello?"

"Um...hi, is this Rachel? Grace's mom...Danny's ex...?" I trailed off.

"Yes, it is, is this Cali?" She asked.

"Yes, hi. Sorry to call so early but I just got Steve's text." I said and she sighed.

"No, it's no problem. Have you figured out what you were wanting to do? I mean I would hate for Grace to take up your whole day..." Rachel trailed off.

"No, it's okay. I don't mind. I mean we can hang out here at Steve's. We got the beach and everything here..." I trailed off.

"She would love that." Rachel said and I half nodded, more to myself than anything. I heard feet on the steps and smiled as Grace appeared. I handed her my phone.

"Your mom." I said and she started talking to her mom and I started looking through Steve's fridge finding only eggs and some bread on the counter.

"You like scrambled eggs?" I asked Grace after she hung up the phone and she nodded.

"Love them." She said and I nodded and started cooking some eggs and toast. "Did Danno have to work?" Grace asked.

"Yeah, him and Steve got a call on a case, so I figured you and I have breakfast and then hit the beach for a while." I said and she nodded.

Grace and I had spent some time in the water and now we were building an elaborate sandcastle

Grace and I had spent some time in the water and now we were building an elaborate sandcastle. Grace was gathering up some shells.

I was watching Grace when my cellphone went off beside me.

Unknown: Hey, it's Danny, I got your number from Steve, and I was just wanting to check in on Grace.

I smiled and put his number in my phone.

Cali: Don't you trust me to watch her Danno? 😝

Danny: You've been hanging out with Steve too long. I can sense your sarcasm.