Chapter 26 - Persephone

MAKARIA

Darkness was all that we could see as we descended the stairs. Helen was scared she would trip, while excitement enveloped me as darkness surrounded my figure.

I loved the dark so much that I was willing to live in it forever. It was part of my creation, hence why I had a black heart.

Cut me open and see if I was lying.

"I am scared." Helen said on our way down.

I rolled my eyes.

"You're a witch, you cannot be scared of the dark, Helen." Was my reply, ending it with a scoff.

I wasn't an understanding person, unfortunately. When Melinoe used to cry to death about some boys or about our mother, I didn't know how to comfort her.

She was weak, so...

When we reached the bottom of the stairs, we saw another door. I could see a white light from under the door, which was how we saw the door in the first place.

I twisted the handle, but it didn't open.

"Would you like to do the honors, or should I handle it?" I asked Helen, who's scared to death.

She took a deep breath before saying that she'll do it.

After five seconds, the door opened with a click.

I didn't waste time and opened it, going in. Helen stayed by the door.

What I saw in front of me was a normal-sized bedroom, with red flowers wallpaper, a king-size bed in the middle, and a half rug, as if someone tore it into half.

Tied to the bed with silver chains was my mother, Persephone. A diamond-shaped crystal was tied around her neck.

"Mother." My voice came out in a whisper. I expected to tear up, and I did.

For the first time in a very long time, tears ran down my gorgeous face. The only gorgeous face in the family of Hades.

Her eyes were wide open, but she didn't reply to me. She could only look at me and as soon as she did, realization hit her like a brick.

Her finger moved, and I knew she used all her power to lift her finger.

The compass in my hands started glowing, and I immediately knew that this compass was trying to take me to her. She was trying to take me to her.

"Oh my god..." Helen muttered as she looked around the room and at Persephone.

I quickly ran to my mother, snatched the crystal from around her neck, and threw it on the floor, breaking it.

My mother immediately took a breath as if she couldn't breathe all this time. She started coughing and took a deep breath.

"Damn it..." She said, looking at me. "Took you long enough!"

I smirked.

"Hello, mother."

"Ria." She smiled, hopping off the bed and running towards me, giving me a hug. "How I have missed this smell."

"The smell of death?" Helen joked, making us glare at her.

"We need to leave now before he comes." My mother said, ignoring Helen's comment.

"Before who comes?" I asked.

"Not now! Let's go."

We ran upstairs and closed the door behind us. We twisted the handle and the wall returned to its original shape.

To our surprise, Ares and Eros were still fighting.

****

"Mr. Roman?!" Helen exclaimed.

We were in my room—Helen, Ares, Persephone, Eros, and I. We managed to pull them apart and call it a truce, but the glares were still being thrown here and there.

"Yes." Persephone rolled her eyes. "He has this crystal that would imprison any supernatural being. That's why I suddenly disappeared."

"And that's why Theseus followed you here?" I asked.

Persephone's eyes widened as she looked surprised. "He followed me here?" She asked.

"Yes, I even captured him and sent him back to hell."

"Why would you do that!" She yelled.

"Because we all thought that he was killing the students."

"But he wasn't! Fucking Roman did."

"Now we know." I replied with a glare. "Anyways, we'll find a way for you to meet with him again—that won't be an issue. But we need to think of our next step. Zeus is expecting you to break the curse."

"My ancestor put this curse for a reason." She argued, earning glares from everyone.

Persephone was a good mother, but she was not a good person. She was heartless and mean. She never cared about anyone but herself and her kids—and now apparently, Theseus.

"They are kids, just like I am yours. They deserve to be freed. Besides, Zeus said he will kill me if you didn't do it."

"Let him try!" She got angry.

"Now let's get rid of Roman and then we can think about the curse." I suggested, everyone agreeing with me.

"And how are we going to do that?" Ares asked this time.

"Gloria."