Minji Very Good

After taking a bath, Minji sat on the edge of the bed and slowly dried her hair. Her movements were deliberate, almost as if she were counting the seconds. She stared at the door, waiting for Hanni to return.

Squeak..

The wooden door creaked open, and Hanni stepped inside, carrying a faint medicinal scent. Minji's eyes brightened imperceptibly, and an inexplicable sense of relief washed over her heart.

"Why haven't you dried your hair yet?" Hanni asked.

When Hanni had left just moments ago, Minji had been in the process of drying her hair. Hanni calculated the time, it had been about four or five minutes. How could Minji still be drying her hair?

Minji froze, awkwardly halting her movements. After a brief moment, she remembered to respond to Hanni. "It's dry."

A twinge of guilt washed over Minji. She had been waiting for her wife to return, and for a moment, she had forgotten she was still drying her hair.

Hanni pulled out some ointment from a medicine box and turned to Minji, who was still sitting on the bed. "Take off your shirt and let me see your back."

The road had been too bumpy earlier, and Hanni was worried that Minji might be hurt. She wouldn't feel relieved until she took a look.

Minji removed the white T-shirt she had just put on, revealing her smooth, fair skin beneath.

"Cough... turn around." Hanni's eyes widened at the sight of Minji's flawless skin. Ignoring her own embarrassment, she walked over to the bed.

Minji complied, exposing her back, which bore visible bruises. Sure enough, they were a deep shade of blue.

Hanni frowned, distress washing over her as she examined the large bruises. The impact had occurred just over ten minutes ago, and less than an hour had passed since they had left the car. How could the bruising be this severe?

"Does it hurt?" Hanni gently traced Minji's back with her fingertips.

"It hurts." Minji wasn't the type to act tough, if you asked her, she would tell you the truth.

Hanni immediately felt a wave of self-blame. "Then why did you still hold onto me? You wouldn't have gotten hurt like this."

The weight of both their bodies had been borne by Minji alone, and the impact against the car's baggage compartment had intensified. To hold her wife, she had to balance herself with one hand, inevitably reducing the impact buffer.

"If I hold you, I will be the only one hurt," Minji replied.

Hanni suddenly felt an urge to cry. Even after two lifetimes, she had never truly considered it. The thought that one day Minji would hug her for a while because of the car moved her so deeply that tears welled in her eyes.

In fact, Professor Lee and grandma Kim were both mistaken. Whoever said that people with autism couldn't express emotions was wrong. Hanni believed that Minji's feelings could reach others' hearts directly.

"I... I'll get you some ice." With red-rimmed eyes, Hanni turned and left. As she headed to the kitchen to find ice, she ran into her friend Hyein.

"Hanni, why are you crying?" Hyein asked, concern etched on her face as she noticed Hanni's reddened eyes.

"It's nothing. Do you have an ice pack here?" Hanni smiled, trying to mask her emotions.

"There's ice in the freezer. I'll wrap it in a towel for you." Hyein sensed Hanni's distress and didn't press further, quickly making an ice pack for her friend.