mine to save

Seokjin:

The rain started again, but this time I wasn't cold. I felt warm as I snuggled closer to my man. He lay there with his eyes closed, his breath steady.

I knew he was awake, just enjoying my warmth as I enjoyed his, listening to his heartbeat—the heart that only beats for me.

It's fascinating that he once told me he didn't do love, and now he says I'm the only reason he's alive. I smiled at the thought, and he pulled me closer, wrapping his leg around mine.

I softly kissed the spot where his heart was beating, sighing from the exhaustion we had endured.

“What the hell was that?” I whispered, remembering the past two months, which had been hell for me.

“My worst nightmare,” he spoke in his deep, even tone—the honeyed voice I love so much.

“Mine too.” The biggest nightmare of my life. I was always a boy who had everything except his father's love, but I pursued whatever I wanted and got everything I desired. Now, I have a man who loves me deeply.

But what does he have? Nothing. A family that was murdered, leaving him alone. Although I don't know how he survived after losing his parents, I know he never had anyone's love. I will give him what he never had—all of my love until my last breath.

“I had a box delivered to me as soon as you left,” I told him. He deserved to know what had caused us so much pain.

“Hmm,” he hummed, telling me to continue, but his whole body stiffened beneath me.

I softly traced his broad, bare chest with my hands, caressing him gently as he lay shirtless, listening to his heartbeat.

“I opened it, and it had a weird, distorted logo,” I said. He hummed again without opening his eyes.

“And it had a letter with it,” I continued, recalling the ridiculous piece of garbage.

“I read it. The man who sent it knew my name. He told me that he wasn't a good person, but neither were you. He called you a devil and said that if I didn’t go to the address written on the paper, you’d end up dead.” My voice faltered at the last word. I heard him sharply inhale.

He flipped me over, burying his face in the crook of my neck, his whole body covering mine like a blanket. I wrapped my arms around him as he continued breathing me in.

“Why did you come, baby?” he asked, his voice tickling my neck as he kept his head there.

“Because I didn’t want you to die. After so many years, I found someone who is truly mine. I couldn't lose you,” I told him, meaning every single word.

“He's right, baby,” he said, pressing me deeper into the mattress with his whole body. His breath was hot on my neck, his lips kissing my skin as he spoke.

“I’m a devil,” he continued. I ran my hand up from his back to his hair, gripping his strands tightly.

“You know I was very scared. I don't get scared easily, but I was terrified. Ask me why?” he said as I softly rubbed his scalp.

“Why?” I asked, my hands still caressing his back and head.

“Of falling in love with you,” he told me, his voice soft, making me feel drunk with emotion.

“I didn’t want to pull you into my dark world. You don’t deserve this, baby. But just the thought of you leaving me had me in a chokehold. I was confused because I didn’t want you to fall in love with me, but I also couldn’t bear the thought of you leaving,” he said, and my heart ached with each of his words. How much more could I love this man?