20.5

Years had passed since Sidharth's accusatory letter shattered Samaira's heart. He had moved on with his life, marrying Shehnaaz and finding success in his career. Yet, the guilt of how he had treated Samaira lingered in his mind like a persistent shadow.

Present

Sidharth woke up early, deciding to let Shehnaaz sleep while he took a solo trip to Manali market, hoping to clear his thoughts. The guilt gnawed at him; last night, he had almost told Shehnaaz about Samaira, but hesitated. He knew he needed to earn Shehnaaz's trust first, yet he couldn't shake off the shame of ignoring his wife and his past mistakes.

As he strolled through the bustling market of Manali, Sidharth caught a glimpse of a familiar face across the street - Samaira, looking radiant and happy with Vikram by her side.

"Samaira?" Sidharth called out, his heart racing with a mix of excitement and nervousness.

Samaira froze in her tracks, her eyes widening in surprise and then narrowing with a hint of apprehension as she turned to face Sidharth.

"S-Sidharth?" she responded hesitantly, her voice tinged with unresolved emotions.

Sidharth took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts. "Samaira, main... main tumse baat karna chahta hoon. Bahut kuch kehna hai," he began earnestly, trying to convey the sincerity of his apology.

Samaira looked at him steadily, her expression unreadable. "Sidharth, kuch kehne ki zarurat nahi hai. Sab kuch bahut pehle hi keh diya tha tumne," she replied calmly, though the pain of his accusations still lingered in her eyes.

"Please, Samaira. Ek mauka toh do. Main... main galat tha, aur main apni galti ka ehsaas kar chuka hoon," Sidharth pleaded, his voice cracking with emotion.

Vikram, who had been observing quietly, stepped forward protectively. "Samaira, humein chalna chahiye," he suggested gently, sensing Samaira's discomfort.

Samaira nodded gratefully at Vikram, then turned to Sidharth one last time. "Sidharth, please understand. Humara rishta ab waisa nahi hai jaisa pehle tha. Main tumhe maaf nahi kar sakti," she said firmly, her voice tinged with finality.

Sidharth nodded silently, his heart heavy with remorse. "Main samajh sakta hoon," he murmured, his gaze dropping to the ground.

As Samaira and Vikram walked away with their children, Sidharth stood rooted to the spot, watching them disappear into the crowd.

***

Sidharth returned to the hotel, his mind swirling with emotions. He went straight to the balcony and lit a cigarette, his thoughts consumed by his encounter with Samaira and Vikram. Shehnaaz noticed his solemn expression from inside the room; something was clearly troubling him, and she knew it had to do with his past.

"Sidharth," Shehnaaz called out softly, stepping closer to him.

He was lost in thoughts and didn't immediately respond.

"Sidharth," she called out a bit louder this time.

Startled, Sidharth turned to face Shehnaaz. She was taken aback to see tears in his eyes - a side of Sidharth she had never seen before.

Before Shehnaaz could say anything, Sidharth hugged her tightly, his voice choked with emotion. "Why am I so dumb, Shehnaaz? I lost her because of my stupidity. Why didn't I give her a chance to explain herself? I lost my best friend."

Shehnaaz was shocked and confused. Whom was Sidharth referring to? Was there someone else in his life, or from his past, that she didn't know about?

Sidharth pulled away slightly, his gaze searching Shehnaaz's face for understanding. He took a deep breath, gathering his thoughts. "Shehnaaz, I... I need to tell you about Samaira," he began slowly, his voice tinged with regret. He recounted the story of his deep friendship with Samaira, the misunderstanding that led to his hurtful accusations, and the painful aftermath.

Shehnaaz listened intently, her heart aching for Sidharth's pain and remorse. She could sense the weight he carried from his past actions. As he finished speaking, Shehnaaz reached out and gently cupped his face in her hands, wiping away a tear that had escaped his eye.

"Sidharth, it's okay," Shehnaaz said softly, her voice filled with compassion. "We all have moments in our past that haunt us. What matters is that you've grown from it, that you're trying to make amends."

Sidharth nodded slowly, feeling a sense of relief wash over him at Shehnaaz's acceptance and understanding. "Thank you, Shehnaaz," he murmured gratefully, feeling a weight lift off his shoulders.

Shehnaaz smiled gently. "We're in this together, Sidharth. Whatever you need to do to find peace, I'll support you."

***

Do vote and comment.