CHAPTER 4: DECEPTION

My stomach is churning. My mind is working at a rapid speed. I'm alert. My right hand is closed in the form of a fist. I have my gun with me. I have my power. I have my soldiers. I have everything.

Everything.

But still, I fear. I fear failure.

'Go ahead,' I say. I can feel my voice crack a little. Little for him to hear. With his right hand, he takes the untouched DNA evidence into his own hands.

'Sir, we have been successful. The blood has been matched to the suspect's DNA'. I feel relieved, but the lingering question remains: who was the suspect all along? Who could it be?

Seeing my blank face, he proceeds. 'Sir, it's none other than Anand Kumar Rao'. Anand Kumar Rao. How could I have been so blind? Anand was a great friend of mine. Not a friend. A business partner. He was. Now he is no more. But is he really the one? I doubt it. I doubt Vivek. I cannot trust anyone. But as the evidence points directly to Anand, I have no choice but to accept the truth. The betrayal cuts deep, leaving me questioning everything I thought I knew about him. Anand's betrayal has shattered my trust in people, making me question the authenticity of all my relationships. It's a harsh reality to accept, but I must come to terms with the fact that sometimes those closest to us can be the ones who hurt us the most.

I'm standing like a statue. 'Do you have the required evidence?' I asked Vivek. He doesn't respond. He goes over to the desk in the corner of the room. He opens one of the drawers. He pulls out a folder and places it in front of me. I slowly open the folder, my heart pounding in anticipation of what I might find inside. As I flip through the pages, my worst fears are confirmed—Anand's deceit runs deeper than I ever could have imagined. This betrayal has not only shattered my trust in him but also in myself for not seeing the truth sooner.

I don't know the time. I'm counting seconds. 1, 2,... I'm breathing. I'm looking at the walls. I try my best not to look for the folder again. But it attracts me. Attraction. I cannot resist myself. I open it once more and look at the pages. I cannot trust my eyes, either. The audacity. I gaze at the walls.

'Vivek, where do you think the blood came from?'. I'm hoping Vivek can't answer this question. I'm hoping not to lose Anand. But Vivek opens his mouth. I know I'm lost. Lost far away. 'Sir, I suppose that he had accidentally cut his finger from any kind of sharp object. Recently, our spies were sent into his building. We have seen him wearing a bandage on his ring finger'. Vivek reaches for something in his pocket. He takes a minute to take out his folded phone and scroll through some kind of image. I'm speechless. The world has always betrayed me. I do not have any fault. I'm speechless. The world has always betrayed me. I do not have any fault. It's time to take matters into my own hands.

Finally, Vivek shows me a photograph of Anand with a bandage on his finger. The photograph is taken from a distance, and the background appears to be a hospital room. Vivek told me the truth. I cannot imagine this. I walk back and forth, stroking my chin. My nervous feet are tapping on the floor. But something doesn't feel right. I feel a sense of unease settling in my chest. How did Anand enter my office? What was he doing here? Why are you tampering with my files? Is he planning to do something? I have no answer. My mind insists on asking Vivek. But my mouth declines the permission. I'm flabbergasted.

Anand is now my rival. He is less rich than me. He doesn't even have half the number of shares I have. I'm superior in every way. I will prove it. 'Vivek, ready a car for me now'. I say. I can feel the blood rushing in my face. Not because of my anger. Because of the betrayal. Vivek looks a bit shocked.

'Sir, now? In this very minute?' he asks. 'Yes,' I say in a quiet voice. He goes away. I can't believe he would do this to me. But I need to stay calm and composed. I'm catching my breath. I'm striding towards my office. I do not see the soldiers bowing before me. I have much less time. I have to make a quick decision. As I enter my office, I see the evidence of betrayal laid out before me. Documents scattered across my desk, and my computer screen was left open with incriminating emails. I take a deep breath and try to compose myself. The only person I trusted in my inner circle has turned against me. I have to act fast before it's too late. The car pulls up outside, and I know it's time to confront the traitor and find out the extent of their betrayal.

I enter the car and feel a wave of tension and anxiety wash over me. I have already informed my commanding soldier of the situation, and I know that I must act quickly before it's too late. Ethan and Vivek will be coming too. But not with me. I don't want to affect my environment with other people. This time, I'm driving. I need to get there as fast as possible. My hands are becoming sweaty from nerves. I'm driving my cars through the empty streets. It's likely 6 p.m. . The lights have gone on the other side. There are multiple camps on the other side owned by influential people. But not more influential than me. The camps consist of those poor people. Those poor people who had hurt me. Those who were laughing at me. Enjoying seeing me humiliated and deprived of power.

I can see the line of cars following me. I have already warned my soldiers. I have warned Ethan and Liam. Vivek too. I have my gun in my pocket with no intention of letting him live. Not a chance. After what he had done with me, I accelerated the car, and I could hear the sound of my engine. I drifted across the darkened streets. The streets are empty. It's beginning to rain lightly, adding an eerie atmosphere to the scene. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest as I approach the location where they are all gathered. As I pull up, I can see their faces change from amusement to fear as they realize what I am about to do. I step out of the car, feeling a surge of power and revenge coursing through me. It's time to make them pay for what they did to me.

I'm not frightened. But silence scares me in a way I cannot define. The poor people who made it alive have been making organizations to overthrow us at any moment. There's literally not a single figure in the streets. I can see the destroyed houses, which have posters on their walls. The organizations have been headed by some secret people. It's impossible to locate them. I've tried to locate them, but every time I failed. Failure is not an option for me. I have been prepared for an incoming war. The destination is not far away from here. I accelerate with even more power and rush through the streets.

I have already made a plan. A plan for how to disarm him. My soldiers will be capturing the whole building. My military strength is higher as compared to his. My soldiers are having a kind of drug that my lieutenant will be spraying in the hallways to make the soldiers faint. Vivek will be with me, and we will be heading directly into Anand's office. I do not fear. I'm an ex-undercover, and I'm pretty good at shooting. I'm wearing my special vest inside. So I have literally no fear.

I can see Anand's building. I have entered his area. I can hear the commotion coming from inside the building as my soldiers begin their mission. The sound of shouting and confusion fills the air, but I remain focused on the task at hand. Vivek stays close by my side, his presence giving me confidence. As we approach Anand's office, I can feel the adrenaline coursing through my veins. I take a deep breath and prepare to face whatever challenges may come our way. This is it—the moment of truth.

I'm staying inside my car. Inside. Just analyzing things.

I grip the steering wheel. My hands are shaking.

I can hear a breathing.

But not mine.

Someone is pointing his gun directly on my head.

I make no sound.