CHAPTER 17: PERILOUS

I'm not so flabbergasted by any other incident than this. The last time I got into trouble was when I accidentally injured a bully. The reason was simple. He used to bully me, and so did I. All I need to do now is run. I have the faintest idea where my men might have gone, and what's wrong with Rhea? Why is she going against me? And not to forget, how did Anand come out of nowhere and is trying to kill me? I don't have any answers.

I'm very far from them, at least for now. There are infinite possibilities for something to happen. But out of them, only two are making way for me. Survive or die. My arm is literally burning. I can feel the heat radiating from the wound on my arm, a stark reminder of the danger I am in. As I try to make sense of the situation, my mind keeps racing with questions and fear. The only option I have now is to keep running, to keep surviving against all odds. The thought of death looms heavily over me, but I refuse to let it consume me. I must push forward and fight for my life, no matter what may come.

While it may feel like a life-or-death situation, it is important to remain calm and assess the best course of action rather than solely focusing on survival instincts. It is crucial to think rationally and consider all possible options before making decisions in a high-pressure situation. My arm is severely bleeding. I might run out of blood. I sit down under the shade of a tree. I don't know whether I will make it or not. The loss of blood scares me. Everything was fine. Too fine to be handled. I have already wrapped my handkerchief around the wounded area. It had turned red.

I need to be treated. The coldness of everything is engulfing me. The ground is full of mist. There are eerie noises floating in the area. Maybe some kind of insect or animal. I try to stay calm and focus on my breathing, trying to control the panic rising within me. The realization that I may not survive this ordeal hits me like a ton of bricks. I struggle to keep my eyes open, the world around me starting to blur. In that moment, I realized the importance of making smart decisions in times of crisis. I need to find help fast, before it's too late. The sounds of the unknown creatures in the distance only add to the sense of urgency I feel.

I get up and check my phone. With one hand, I try to contact the lieutenant. But all in vain. He's not picking up the call. I don't know why. Wait. I close my eyes and open them once again to check if the information is correct or not. Yes. It's definitely happened. Ethan. Ethan had given me a missed call. It all seems to fit in now. Maybe Ethan had gotten into some kind of trouble just like me. If he left my workplace without any possible reasons, then he might not have given me a call. He knows that I have my team to easily locate him. So, there's something wrong in here.

I clench my teeth and take control of my mind. I try not to run in order to keep my breath alive. I'm grasping for breath. The air feels to be deprived of oxygen. I can see the forest being turned into some kind of road. All around me is surrounded by forests except on my front. That's it. A sudden spark of dopamine ignites inside me. That's the abandoned area, perhaps. I might find some valuable resources there. I keep walking, trying my best not to lose any more blood and die. Or rather, having a blackout.

I'm fully exhausted. As per history, we, the powerful people, had destroyed these areas. The people who were left were turned into slaves. Others went hidden. The thing is, we have the faintest idea about their whereabouts. There are a lot of theories, but none of them proved to be correct. On my front is a broken mall. I don't know if I will find any medical items inside of it or not. The place is broken and destroyed as hell. As I cautiously approach the broken mall, my hope for finding medical supplies dwindles. The destruction around me serves as a grim reminder of the power and devastation caused by those before me. The thought of the enslaved and hidden people weighs heavily on my mind as I push forward in search of help. The uncertainty of what lies ahead in the ruined mall only adds to my desperation to survive.

The continent is divided into multiple sectors, or rather areas, managed by some of the most influential and wealthy people. Our area has many leaders, but I'm in charge of it particularly. Mr. Brenett was the previous one; that's why he is sometimes jealous of me. But he has also gotten old, so the organization has taken the decision to put him off. The organization has given me the responsibility to lead our sector through these difficult and uncertain times. As I navigate the treacherous ruins of the mall, I am reminded of the power struggles and politics that define our society. I must stay strong and focused, for the survival of my people depends on my ability to find help and navigate the dangerous landscape ahead.

No. There's nothing in here. The vandalism done here is just insane. Done by us. We people. There are thousands of wealthy people on our continent. Rather more. There are more than thousands of such people in my area. Some of them live a normal life, and they purchase our products and all that. But there are others who thrive on the power they hold over us, using their wealth and influence to control and manipulate. As I continue to search for a way out of the mall, I know that I must be cautious and wary of those who may try to exploit me for their own gain. The survival of my people depends on my ability to navigate not only the physical obstacles before me but also the dangerous individuals who seek to maintain their grip on power. I will not falter in my mission to find help and lead my people to safety.

It's worthless entering the mall. I try to peek inside an abandoned house. It's a large, one-story house. Maybe I could find some supplies there. I can see our business posters on the walls and everywhere. I enter the house through the broken door. There's no power supply anywhere, so all the time I was using my torch. I hope that it doesn't die of battery. I make my way inside, narrowing my eyes. The footsteps are echoing inside the house. There's a somewhat reception table there. I make the torch flash around the entire house.

There's a movement. Some kind of movement. I again flash the torch, and with my right hand, I position it in such a manner in my coat that it acts as a headlight. I take my gun, which has run out of bullets. I keep my hand steady. Might use the gun to scare away. But I'm feeling dizzy, and I push forward, and it goes.

'Who are you? A familiar voice asks me, holding a gun in his hands, pointing towards me.

'I know you,' I whisper to myself.