CHAPTER 8: SHE'S COMING!

I'm walking towards the military base. I can see the guard towers in the distance. I need to check the base once a week. I need to continuously bring in developments in my military. Survival is an art. Only the people who constantly upgrade themselves survive till the end. In this case, my men are part of me. It is necessary for my survival. I can't deny the fact. My men are my lifeline. No.

I'm the lifeline. For my men.

As I approach the base, I can feel the weight of responsibility on my shoulders. The safety and well-being of my men depend on my ability to lead and make strategic decisions. I know that in order to stay ahead of our enemies, we must constantly adapt and improve. The sound of boots hitting the ground in unison echoes through the air as we march towards the base, a symbol of our unity and strength. As we enter the gates, I am filled with a sense of determination and purpose. Today, we will train harder, plan smarter, and ensure that we are always one step ahead. My men are counting on me, and I will not let them down.

'Lieutenant' I say, and he bows down and gives a salute. The rest of the sentence is "The mission ahead will be tough, but we are ready'. On my left is Captain Johnson, and on my right is Sergeant Nishan . They both are very important for me. I make developments in the strategy, and they execute it flawlessly. 'Any updates?' I ask. Sergeant Nishan nods and replies, 'Everything is going according to plan so far.' I nod. I am untouchable. I have made developments for the next phase of the operation. Impenetrable vests and helmets. Till now, only one has been made. One. Only for me.

'How many days will it take to maximize the production for a thousand soldiers?' I ask. They both look at each other for a moment. 'One to two days' replies Sergeant Nishan. I'm satisfied. Till now. Those protections would be very necessary for my team. I have spent a lot of money on this. So, I'm not hoping to give up. I can see those model vests on display. I pace up the length. They are suspended midway. They are kept in anti gravity containers. A technology where gravity is neutralized to keep objects floating in midair. It's fascinating to see how far military equipment has advanced. As I continue inspecting the vests, I can't help but feel a sense of pride knowing that my team will be well-protected with the latest gear. I make a mental note to thank Sergeant Nishan for his help in ensuring our safety on the battlefield.

'What about the guns?' I ask Captain Johnson.

'Sir, we have made the large guns free of recoils. It is a technology where the force of the recoil is absorbed and redirected, making the guns easier to handle and more accurate for our soldiers,' Captain Johnson explains. I nod in approval, impressed by the level of innovation and technology being utilized in our military arsenal. As I walk through the armory, I can't help but feel a sense of reassurance knowing that we are well-equipped and prepared for whatever challenges may come our way.

I'm satisfied. These changes are revolutionary. I have records of all this information in my files. Those files. Which Anand Kumar Rao had interfered with. It makes me sick. What if he is also making these kinds of advanced weapons? I'm tensed. I calm my mind. It cannot happen. These require a lot of funding. He does not have such a budget. Anyway, I walk up towards those three men. The lieutenant is looking down. I look toward Captain Johnson and Sergeant Nishan. They both have some kind of mixed expression, which I'm not able to understand. I gave them a nod. I walk away out of the room.

I'm heading toward my office. I met Ethan in the hallway. 'Sir, are you here?' he bows down. I gave him a nod. I'm not in the mood to speak too much. I'm already feeling a bit uneasy thinking about Anand invading my personal space. Instead, I come to the main topic. 'Any information about Anand?' I ask. He nods his head in a disapproving manner. I clench my jaw. I'm filled with rage. Everyone in this building has been instructed earlier to look for Anand. But there are still no updates. That's too strange. That's crazy. I'm stunned. 'Inform Vivek to meet me at my office at ten hundred hours' I say, and I walk away toward the elevator.

As I step into the elevator, I can feel my heart racing with frustration. Anand's disappearance is starting to feel like a personal attack on me. I press the button for my floor and lean back against the wall, trying to calm my racing thoughts. The elevator dings as it reaches my floor, and I step out into the hallway, determined to get to the bottom of this mystery. As I make my way to my office, I can't shake the feeling that something sinister is at play. I need answers, and I need them now. I quickly unlock the door to my office and sit down at my desk, pulling up Anand's schedule to see if there were any clues as to where he could have gone. As I scan through his appointments, my eyes widen as I notice a meeting scheduled with a known rival company. Could Anand have betrayed us and defected to the competition? My mind races with possibilities, but one thing is for certain: I won't rest until I uncover the truth behind Anand's disappearance. I pick up the phone and dial the number for the rival company, determined to get the answers I need.

"Hello, this is Sarah from... '. I couldn't hear what she said. "I'm calling about a meeting scheduled with one of your clients, Anand. Can you tell me if he showed up for the meeting?" There is a pause on the other end of the line before a voice responds, "I'm sorry, but Anand never arrived for the meeting. We assumed he had changed his mind or had other obligations." My heart sinks as I realize that Anand's disappearance may not be as simple as him defecting to the competition. There is something much more sinister at play, and I am determined to get to the bottom of it.

I'm left with nothing but disappointment. Meanwhile, there is a knock on the door. I look at camera no. 102 to find Vivek waiting outside my office. I gave a siren like sound to signal Vivek to come in. Anand enters my office. He bows down. I don't give any obvious reactions. I'm not in the mood to lurk around. I come straight to the topic. 'Vivek, I need Mr. Brenett's all movements from day before yesterday to today's morning. I hope I have made myself clear?'. He nods and then goes to the door.

I rise from my seat. My voice is a bit louder. I say, 'Keep it private'. He nods and goes out of the office. I'm again left behind, lonely in my office. One thing I'm certain of is that Anand is behind all this conspiracy. He's trying to get my property, wealth, and everything. But it's not that easy. Not that easy. Not at all.

I open my folding phone. I have received a message. A message from a known number. Very close number.

'I'm coming' I read.

Ah shit! Please, not now.