CHAPTER 7: REALLY!

I'm walking back and forth, trying to clear my mind. I'm feeling overwhelmed with all of the responsibilities piling up. Today's morning is unusually quiet. My legs are not tired. But my mind is. I sit on my table. It's been six hundred hours. I need to focus and come up with a plan. To keep my mind calm. Yesterday was chaotic, and I couldn't get anything done. I have gotten a bit of an update about the series of events that have taken place lately. I need to make sense of it all before moving forward. The man I killed. I killed. Ruthlessly. The man was one of Anand's men. The lieutenant told me. Also, after the soldiers took down those men, there was not a single trace of Anand throughout the whole building. So, it is possible that Anand fled. Because of my fear.

Everything makes sense. I close my eyes. Stare at the empty ceiling. It's colder than yesterday. I'm wearing my suit. I can feel the blood flowing in my veins. But my mind is frozen. But it is evident that Anand invaded my space. Without my permission . And now I am faced with the consequences of his intrusion. What was he doing with my files? I hope he will not be planning an attack. He would be easily defeated then. I'm more powerful than he could ever imagine. I open my eyes. Stare at the watch on my left wrist. It's almost time. I have ordered my commandos to find Anand Kumar Rao long before intruding into his space. My soldiers are scattered throughout this area. My area. My zone. He wouldn't be able to escape this time.

I call upon the skies to open up and bring forth a storm of vengeance. Vivek. I can see him waiting outside my door. I press the button on my right to inform him. To enter. He enters. Without a single word spoken. He is my manager. He is also handling this case. He is standing in front of me. He clenches his jaw. His hands were behind his back. I look into his eyes. He lowers his eyes. He fails to maintain eye contact. I know it. I know. Something bad is said. I clench my right fist, expressing my rage. But I control myself. Things are not going to work this way.

'Any news about Anand?' I ask in a casual tone. I don't want him to suppress any possible information.

'No, sir' he replies, looking at his polished boots.

I'm disappointed. I'm disappointed. With my men. As well as myself. I look at the walls. I'm searching for breath. I need air. Fresh air. I need air. Fresh air. But there's none to be found in this suffocating room. I say nothing. The words are strangling me. I nod. He knows exactly what to do. He bows and walks to the door.

He is gone.

I take a deep breath and try to calm my racing thoughts. Anand's disappearance has me on edge, and I can't shake the feeling of unease that has settled in the pit of my stomach. I need to find him, and I need to find him fast. My mind is racing with possibilities, each one more terrifying than the last. I need to stay focused to stay strong. I can't let fear cloud my judgment. I have a job to do, and I won't rest until Anand is safe.

But let me think of it this way. Anand came to my office. Nobody had seen him. Nobody knows how he had access to my room. Including me. He entered my office. But how? Wait. No. That's not going to work. Vivek and Ethan know too little to help him. He entered my room. I messed up with my files. The slush funds. Yes, those slush funds. In the process, he cut his finger or any part of his body. But according to reports, his finger was found to be injured beyond repair. Then he escapes. He also deleted that CCTV footage. But he literally does not even know where the CCTV room is located. I don't know. I still can't process it. It's like a plot from a thriller movie.

I get up. I stretch my body. I go towards the windows and get a glimpse of the city. The tall skyscrapers and those bare lands. Huge difference. Huge. I can hear a knock on the door. This time, I want to open it myself. I go toward the door. Take a deep breath before opening it. As I turn the doorknob slowly, my heart races with anticipation. I swing the door open and am met with a familiar face, but something in their expression tells me that things are far from over. I invite them in, trying to maintain a sense of calm, but my mind is still reeling from the events that have unfolded. The city outside may be bustling with life, but inside this room, the air is thick with tension and uncertainty.

Mr. Brenett. What is he doing here? I do not know. I welcome him. He sits on the comfy chair on the opposite side of my desk. I pour us each a cup of tea, hoping the familiar routine will ease the tension in the room. Mr. Brenett clears his throat before speaking, his expression unreadable. "I'm here to discuss the recent allegations against you," he says, his voice steady but his eyes searching mine for a reaction. My heart sinks as I realize that this visit is not a social call but a serious matter that could change everything. As he begins to lay out the accusations, I can feel the weight of the world crashing down on me.

'No. Not at all. You are mistaken, Mr. Brenett; I have never been involved in any illegal activities'. Brenett takes a calm, composed breath. His face is arrogant. Rude. He is not a good person. But I must cope with him. I need to. He has a partnership with me. I don't want the deal to be broken. He comprehends my sentence. He smiles a little. He bites his bottom lip. 'Do you think I'm wrong?' he asks, tilting his old face. His face. It causes rage inside me.

I take a deep breath, trying to keep my composure in front of Brenett. His smug attitude only fuels my determination to maintain control of the situation. "I never said you were wrong, Mr. Brenett. I simply want to ensure that everything is above board in our partnership," I reply, my voice steady despite the anger simmering beneath the surface. Brenett's smile falters slightly, and I can see a flicker of uncertainty in his eyes. I know I have him on edge, and I intend to use that to my advantage. I continue to stare at him, unflinching, my gaze unwavering. I refuse to let him intimidate me with his condescending demeanor. As he begins to speak, I can sense the shift in power between us. This is my game now, and I will play it with finesse until I come out on top. I will not let Brenett's arrogance derail my plans.

'Alright, so let me then come with evidence,' he says, and then walks out of the room.

I'm stunned. I'm also happy that he is gone.

He is powerless in front of me.

'A tiny old man'.