Chapter Thirteen

Baelon knew this moment was inevitable. The instant he saw his father gathering the egg and Dark Sister, he realized someone would come to reclaim it. Daemon asked Mysaria to join him but instructed Baelon to stay. Ignoring his father's words, Baelon continued on the path alongside the gold cloaks. He had Lamentation with him, anticipating that, knowing his father, things could escalate.

They ascended the bridge, the sound of distant footsteps growing louder. Mysaria stood to Daemon's left, while Baelon took his place on the right. He exchanged a glance with Mysaria before focusing on the approaching group: Otto Hightower, Ser Harold Westerling, Ser Criston Cole, and several household guards.

Daemon shifted the egg from one hand to the other, glaring at Otto. "Welcome to Dragonstone, Otto."

"Your occupation of this island is at an end," Otto declared. "You're to relinquish the dragon's egg, disband your army, banish your whore, and leave Dragonstone by order of His Grace, King Viserys."

"Where is the King? I don't see him," Daemon retorted.

"His Grace would never lower himself to entertain such a mummer's farce," Otto replied coldly.

Daemon paused for a moment. "Ser Crispin, wasn't it?"

"Ser Criston Cole, my Prince."

"Yes, apologies. I couldn't recall."

"Perhaps my Prince recalls when I knocked him off his horse," Criston remarked.

Daemon chuckled at the comment. "Very good," he said, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"This is a truly pathetic show, Daemon," Otto said again. "Are you so desperate for the King's attention that you've resorted to skulking about like a common cutpurse?"

"I'm simply keeping with the traditions of my house, the same as my brother did for his heir."

"Those traditions are for the trueborn children of royalty, not for bastards fathered by a common whore," he stated firmly.

"Lady Mysaria is to be my wife," Daemon responded.

"This is an abomination. With every breath, you soil your name, your house, your brother's reign and your son," Otto retorted sharply.

"Our love does not know titles and traditions," Daemon asserted.

Otto turned to the men of the City Watch with a stern gaze. "And what of you, men of the City Watch? Aiding the Prince in his treason?"

"The King made me their commander. They are loyal to me," Daemon declared firmly, holding out the egg towards Otto. "You've come for the egg. Here it is."

"Are you mad?" Otto exclaimed. "You'd never survive this."

"Well, happily, neither would you." Daemon retorted coldly.

"To choose violence, here, is to declare war against your King." Otto warned.

"Wonderful," Daemon replied sarcastically.

"Even if it ends in the death of your unborn child and its mother?"

Swords were drawn on both sides. Baelon rested a hand on Lamentation at his waist, ready for things to escalate. Though he doubted it would come to that, he remained vigilant.

The sound of Caraxes and Grey Ghost filled the air, drawing his gaze skyward. A small smile appeared on his face at the sight of his dragon. Grey Ghost always sensed when Baelon needed him, attuned to his every emotion.

The dragons positioned themselves behind them, casting imposing shadows. Otto and his party eyed the dragons warily, recognizing the undeniable advantage Daemon and Baelon held.